FIFTY THREE

✧・ ゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・ ゚: *✧・゚:*

At breakfast, the Great Hall was full of chatter and smiling faces. The sixth year Gryffindors were no exception, as they had been mindlessly chatting about the first thing that came to mind. All of them, together, not just in their little friend groups. It was strange to see James and Lily sat next to each other, drinking hot tea and eating cereal all while trying to push down the blush on their faces.

Depsite all the talking around them, Remus noticed that Genevieve had been unusually quiet. Sure, she made the odd remark or smirked to herself, but she wasn't doing that as often as usual. With concerned hazelnut eyes, he watched her disinterestedly pick apart the toast on the plate in front of her.

If that wasn't a big enough problem for him, his head had been painfully spinning all morning as if trying to imitate the earth revolving the sun. He knew it would only get worse throughout the day, but decided against going to the Hospital Wing because he hated the smell in there, and it would only be intensified with the heightening of his senses. He placed his head in his hands and tried his hardest not to groan in pain.

"I think I might," Lily hummed. "What do you think, Gen?"

Genevieve raised her eyes from the toast that had now been separated from its crust. "Yeah, totally," she nodded and made a noise of agreement. It was an unconvincing answer that proved she hadn't been listening, to say the least.

A frown etched itself onto Lily's face. "Where's your mind at, hun? You've been distracted all yesterday and this morning," she pointed out, a small, assuring smile playing at her lips.

Genevieve had been stuck on the fact that Jessie Hawthorne had asked her to Hogsmeade. The memory kept replaying in her head, over and over like it was on a loop, yet it never once became repetitive. How could something she enjoyed to remember be repetitive?

She enjoyed that fact that someone had taken an interest in her, and she enjoyed the fact that the same person was now occasionally glancing at her from further down the table. Now that Genevieve knew Jessie had took an interest in her, she became very aware of every time he stole a look at her. Never once had she even attempted to glimpse back at him, though, because she was fearful that he might do it at the same time. What would she do if they made eye contact?

Lily's remark had turned everyone to face her. James, Sirius, Remus, Peter, Lily, Marlene, Alice. Everyone. She took in their interested eyes, the furrow of their brows, and tried her hardest not to feel like she was under a spotlight.

"Someone asked me to Hogsmeade," confessed Genevieve.

"Who?" Alice asked, her voice so smooth and angelic that it melted Genevieve's insides slightly. Alice tended to have that effect on people. If sunshine was a person, it would be her.

Sirius, however, did not have the same effect. Unlike Alice's calming tone, he took on a voice holding the same intensity as a protective older brother. He looked disturbed, if anything. "Precisely, Fortescue. Who?" he demanded, placing down the knife and fork he had once used to shovel scrambled eggs into his mouth.