FORTY EIGHT

✧・ ゚: *✧・゚:*

✧・ ゚: *✧・゚:*

Euphemia Potter had dropped everything she was doing as soon as she heard a thud that echoed through the whole house and the yelp that followed after. With her baking apron covered in flour and her hands still wrapped inside of oven mitts, she arrived into the living room and was delighted to see Genevieve Lewis in a tight embrace with her only son.

"Genevieve, my darling!" Euphemia cried ecstatically and rushed over to Genevieve, removing her from James's hug and throwing her own arms around the girl. "It's been too long since I've last seen you, far too long!"

Euphemia Potter was a tall woman with kind features. She had smile lines even when she wasn't smiling (which was rarely ever), her hair was perfectly curled and pinned into a half-do, and her brown eyes were always softened and filled with comfort. She was old, older than most parents, but her spirit kept her young.

Genevieve laughed into the hug. She didn't care that Mrs Potter was coating her ruby red flared jeans in flour. "I couldn't agree more," Genevieve smiled, "Between me and you, I'de much rather have your company than the rest of the boys."

She looked over Euphemia's shoulder to send James a wink. He had his jaw dropped offendedly.

"Well, I'm just happy you haven't grown as much as the others. I can actually give you a hug without reaching upwards!" She said, and glanced pointedly at Remus. "Tall as anything that one, makes him useful for grabbing jars from the high cupboards though. I reckon he's getting tired of me asking."

Genevieve's gaze momentarily lingered on Remus. He was stood with crossed arms, leaning on the fireplace, watching the scene in front of him. His hair was messy as ever, and the freckles that littered his cheeks stood out proudly amongst his scars. She smiled. He smiled back.

Genevieve glanced briskly at the patch of soot covering the carpet near his feet. That was her fault. Euphemia must have seen, because she flashed a kind smile. "Don't worry about that, it'll be gone in two minutes. Charmed carpet that automatically cleans up any mess, you see. Fleamont insisted we get it. As for your suitcases," she waved her wand, and they soon vanished, "They're now in your room."

Sirius scoffed. "I'm feeling left out. You've not seen me for what, a week? And you would much rather hang around with my Mum instead of me?"

"Wasn't that the point of this whole trip?"

Euphemia let out a loud laugh. "You're not getting her away from me that easy, Sirius. Come on, honey, you can come and help me finish baking the rest of my sugar cookies."

"Now hang on a second," James interrupted quickly, "She's our friend, Mum. We want to spend time with her." He grabbed Genevieve's hand and hastily began to drag her out the room. "And besides, we need to do the thing."