-21-

The next day, I'm walking in the hallway among the students while holding a pile of parchments and folders neatly in my hands, Headmaster spots me further away. "Oh, Professor (Y/L)! Can I have a moment of your time?" he calls. I stop walking immediately:"Of course, Headmaster.". "In my office, if you please." he starts heading there already. Wonder what's it about? Soon enough, we are in his office. Don't know if I'm ever going to get used to seeing this place. It's somehow so... Majestic? "Please, take a seat." Dumbledore points at the chair in front of the big desk while walking other side of it. This time I won't refuse and just go sit quietly. Little bit nervous, since I have no idea why he wanted to see me. The Headmaster glances down to his desk, takes a pack of candies and offers:"Want some?". Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans. Hesitantly, I take one:"Thank you.". He takes one too.

Both of us put the beans in our mouths at the same time. For a moment we stay quiet and try to guess which flavor we got. "Ah, watermelon." Dumbledore sighs pleased. My face goes upside down:"Mine was dirt.". It makes him chuckle and offers another one:"Wanna try your luck once more?". Lift my hand up:"N-no, thank you. I'm afraid it's going to be something worse.". He nods and puts the pack back down:"Perhaps...". Then, he sits down on his big chair. "Is everything alright, sir?" I finally ask. "Oh, yes. I just wanted to ask you - if it's alright with you, to start the night shifts after the holidays." he says. "Of course! No problem, just tell me what I need to do and I'm good to go." I smile. The night shift. Meaning, some of the professors and prefects needs to walk around the castle late at night, to make sure none of the students are out of their Common Rooms past their bedtime. For some reason there are students who likes to do that...

Each of us will be given specific paths to walk around for one and half hour, then do a switch with one on other. It'll take totally four and half hours per person to do the shift. Then they can either head back to bed or get ready for their morning classes. Depending which night shift you're going to get. The first shift is from 9.00 pm to 1.30 am, the second shift is from 1.30 am to 5.30 am. "As for your first week, I suggest you'd take the first shift." Dumbledore says. I nod:"Sounds great.". Headmaster smiles pleased. Phew! For a minute I thought the reason he invited me here was going to be something far more intense. We talked more about the night shifts. About the things it requires, how to act if we run into a student etc. He explains everything so calmly and clearly. No wonder he is a likable boss.

After our fifteen minute conversation, we got up from our seats and Dumbledore starts leading me out. "Have you heard anything from Lupin?" he asks while having hands behind his back. I sigh:"No, unfortunately. I've meaning to write him, but haven't got the time to do so.". Dumbledore raise brow:"Hope you don't overwork yourself?". My head snaps right at him, hint of panic strikes:"What?! N-no! No, not at all, sir! What I meant was..-", "I was just messing with you." he winks with mischievous smirk the corner of his mouth. I let out a nervous chuckle:"Haahah... Right. Of course.". Oh, dear Merlin. We stop right at the door and he turns to me:"That is what I like about you, (Y/N).". Huh? "Considering your past, you won't let it affect the present day." he continue. Pressing my lips in a thin line:"Mm...". Don't know what to say to that. "Speaking of 'liking' and 'trusting'..." he starts all of sudden. Did we..?

Even Dumbledore is very wise and powerful man, he can sometimes come across as... Funny old man, who speaks curious things. "There might come a time, when I'm not here..." he starts. Looking at him confused:"Huh?". What is he talking about? "Nothing to worry about, love. It's just that the Ministry has been bugging me ever since they heard about Lupin, and they wish me to pay a visit, which can take longer than a day or two.". "Oh..." I let out. Still feeling guilty about what happened in the Forbidden Forest. If only I knew about Remus's situation, I wouldn't have asked him to come... Then, I feel Dumbledore's hand on my shoulder, almost pressing too hard by the collarbone with his thumb. "Hm?" my head snaps right up to meet his eyes. He stares right into my (e/c) eyes:"If there happens to appear any problems while I'm gone, I want you to promise me, you'll tell Severus about it.". What? Don't know why, but a blush shoots up on my cheeks after he said that.

Out of all of the professors in this school, he needed to mention him. Wonder why he needed to emphasize that? Remembering how Snape told me at the Hospital Wing they are friends - in his own way. "Because he's your special spy who needs to know everything that happens in the castle?" I chuckle, trying to light up the mood. Dumbledore keeps his serious face:"If there is anyone I trust, it'll be him. No matter how small or difficult the problem might be.". Can't help, but imagine them having a little gossip club in this office every now and then. Discreetly rolling my eyes:"Alright, alright. 'Report everything to the Potions Master'. Got it.". Finally, a smile appears to Dumbledore's face and he lets go of my shoulder:"Good.". Then he pulls out the pack of candies again:"Wanna try again?". My eyes shifts couple times between him and the box. "Fine." I sigh and take another one. Dumbledore waits for my reaction as I munch the bean in my mouth. My eyes brightens when I get the flavor:"Mm, tutti-fruitti!". Gentle smile raises on Dumbledore's face and he walks deeper into his office:"That'll be all, Professor (Y/L).".

The week of Christmas came around. It's a beautiful, early morning. The Sun is shining and snow falls down quietly. Lots of students are hopping on the Hogwarts Express with their suitcases, ready to spend the next two weeks with their family and loved ones. The whole atmosphere just oozes happiness and excitement! I wouldn't mind spending the holidays here in the castle, but I already promised to my aunt I'll be coming. "Say 'hi' to your aunt from me, will ya?" the half-giant next to me says. Lift my head up to see him:"Of course! She'll be happy to hear back from her old school friend!". I'm walking beside Hagrid, who came to make sure everyone got in the train on time. When we got close to the rails, we turn to face each other. "Oh, almost forgot..." he picks something out of his huge coat's pocket. "Merry Christmas, (Y/N)." he then hands me a present that is wrapped in brown paper slightly wonky way. I let out a gasp all stunned:"Hagrid! Noo, you shouldn't have! Now I feel bad, since I got nothing for y..-", "You brought Buckbeak back. That is the best present anyone has ever given me." he gives a heart warming smile.

I glance down at the present. The thought of how he actually has made the effort to buy me a present and wrap it in his own little hut, makes me tear up a little. My body thuds against his when I give him a hug. The biggest hug I can give. Holding back the tears:"Thank you, Hagrid. Truly.". He pats my back couple of times, also tearing up a bit. The train lets out the 'Choo! Choo!' - sound as a sign its about to leave soon. Hagrid then chuckles and wipes the tears off his eyes:"Off ya go!". Quickly, I rush into the train and peek out from the door:"Merry Christmas!!". "I'll see you in two weeks!" his voice echoes thru the station. When I get a seat from the train, I look outside of the window, smile widely and wave to my friend as the train leaves. Hagrid's figure becomes smaller and smaller by every second, until it's impossible to see. Goodbye, Hagrid. Goodbye, Hogwarts - my second home.

Few hours later, I'm walking along a snowy street which will lead to my aunt's house. Had to take the public transportation to get here, since aunt-Ruby or her husband - William, couldn't come to pick me up from the train station. I don't mind it, really. It's actually nice to walk in peace and look around the surroundings from my childhood. The whole neighborhood has put out their best Christmas decors like every year. Can't wait to see all these lights at night time! After walking some time, I see the familiar house. Mixed feelings raises up on me, even I thought I wouldn't be having those anymore. Guessing it's because it has been a while last time I visited in here. Right when I get to the front yard, I see there is a little girl standing at the door, her back facing me. Huh? No idea who the girl is, but looks like she's trying to reach the doorbell to my aunt's house. She must be three or four years old. What is she doing here all alone?

"E-excuse me, little girl?" I approach her. The girl turns around to see me. She has blue eyes and ginger hair peeking out under the purple woolly hat. Before I can ask who she is and what is she doing, she starts:"I wanna see Lubi!". Lubi? Realizing she must've meant my aunt, since I used to call her like that when I was young:"Oh, Ruby? Ruby Harris, you mean?". The girl nods:"Lubi pomised me a cake.". Some steam comes out of my mouth as I breath out:"Ouh...". "(Y/N)?" a male voice calls further away. "Huh?" my head snaps at the direction the voice came. A man around my age stands at the neighbor's yard, looking all worried. Beautiful blue eyes and ginger hair. My eyes widens and heart skips a beat when I realize who the man is. Edward.