The Secrets Lie Beneath

The secret society, Nubi, met at night in Joy's room. Joy had planned for them to do something risk taking that night. Since she knew that there were mysteries in the cellar at Anubis House, she wanted to see if there were any in the basement there at the summer house. She told the others her idea.

"That's crazy," Mara mentioned. "Why would we ever go into the basement anyway?"

"Because we're a mystery solving gang."

"Well this isn't Scooby-Doo so I'm going back to my room," Jerome said as he got up. Joy pulled him back down.

"Willow?" Joy asked to see if she wanted to come.

"I'm in. It sounds fun!" Willow agreed.

"That's two out of four. We're going."

"Not fair," Mara complained.

"Life's not fair, so let's go." Joy jumped up. They all tip-toed down the stairs with flashlights. It was dusty and ancient down there. You almost couldn't tell what was down the because there was so much dust. There were tables down there with stuff scattered all per them. Mara screamed because she thought she saw a foot, but it was really a fake foot. Weird.

"Why is there a fake foot down here?" Mara asked, revolted.

"Must have been a prankster here," Jerome grinned, picking up the foot and bringing it towards Mara.

"Who's this?" Willow questioned, flashing her light on a painting of some woman.

They all came over, and Joy replied, "If I'm not mistaking, it looks like Amneris from Egyptian mythology."

Jerome turned around and flashed his light on a table. There were a bunch of tools, as if an inventor had lived here. Maybe one did. Jerome wondered why the house of a prankster(possibly) and an inventor(possibly) had been turned into a summer house. He moved some of the tools around until he found an old, folded sheet of paper. It was already yellowed and black on the ends. He unfolded it. It was a map of under the house. How could there be so many passages when they were in just one square room? Then he thought, unless...he carried the map with him and hurried over to a wall. When he pressed his hand against it, and then his ear, part of the wall turned, showing a long passage that led into darkness. The others joined him.

"Should we go?" Joy questioned with a huge smile, obviously wanting the others to say yes.

"No, no, no," Mara rejected. "It's too dangerous."

"We're going anyway." Joy did a little skip as she entered the passage.

Willow told Jerome and Mara, "If you can't beat them, join them." She followed Joy.

Jerome and Mara eyed eachother and followed as well. After they all entered, the wall closed behind them. They would worry about getting out later. Right now, they had to see what was down there. Once they made it to the end of the hallway, there was a pressure plate right in front of them and a hallway on their left and their right.

"So, will it be the pressure plate, right passage, or left passage?" Jerome asked.

"Maybe we should split up," Joy suggested.

"No!" Mara disagreed. "We barely know anything about this. I'm leaving. This place creeps me out."

Mara speedily walked back the way she came. She had rubbed her hand in her hair with her right hand, and as she brought her hand down, a force came from it, causing the wall to twist back open. The other three were right behind her.

"Mara, did you do that?" Joy asked.

Mara looked at her hand, surprised and shocked. "I don't know...did I?"