Back in the Tunnels

Mara and KT passed the archery room without having to do another competition, thankfully. They went into the room with the creepy paintings, and when Mara shined her flashlight on the skeleton in the rocking chair, she squealed and jumped back.

"Oh, sorry. Should've warned you about that."

"Yeah." Mara inched closer to it. "Do you think it's real?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if it was."

KT lifted a velvet sheet off the ground, revealing a box under it. She lifted the box onto the table. There was some old junk like a broken lamp and torn fabric, but under all that were old letters tied in a ribbon as well as different photographs.

"Hey, come look at this."

The photographs showed black and white pictures, some faded, but still visible. Most of them were of a lady with dark hair, standing in front of the summer house, but she never smiled. One was of her and a little boy who also didn't smile.

"Was it illegal to smile back then or something?" KT questioned.

"Seems like it. But really, it doesn't look like their happy, and there has to be a reason why."

"Maybe it's in these letters, and it I think we have time so, let's get reading."

They moved some junk around on the table to sit on there.

"First letter," Mara began.

~~~~~

Alfie and Amber passed the mirror room without completing anything that time. As they walked down the long corridor, Amber began a conversation.

"I bet you and Willow are amazing together," Amber complimented.

"Yeah," Alfie replied. "We're like, perfect for eachother."

"Well, that's great. I'm happy for you."

"You're taking this really well. Are you sure you're fine?"

"Of course I am, Alfie. How could I not be? If you're happy, I'm happy, even if it's not with me."

"Oh, well that's great because, it would hurt me if you were taken this hard."

Amber smiled to herself. She was bout to say something, but Alfie called out, "I think I see the room."

He began running towards the opening, and Amber kept up as close as she could with her heels. Inside the room was a podium with a handle on the top. It seemed as though it worked like a valve, and all you needed to do was twist it. Amber finally showed up.

"This is probably important," Alfie declared. He took a picture of it with his phone. He was tempted to turn it, but he had to learn to resist the urge.

"Can we rest a bit? That was a long walk," Amber sighed.

"Sure," Alfie agreed.

"But where do I sit?"

Alfie looked around. "Ooh! My lap. My lap."

He sat against the wall, his legs stretched out, and patted his thigh for Amber to come sit. She sat all lady-like on his lap, and since she said she was ok with Alfie and Willow dating, Alfie assumed this was nothing more than him being a friend and gentleman.

~~~~~

Nina and Eddie went through the room, now without sand, and began their journey to the room at the end of the tunnel.

"I see you're avoiding Fabian," Eddie grinned.

"Avoiding?" Nina acted clueless. "What?"

"That's why you so desperately wanted me to come with you, right?"

"Ok, I wanted to come down to the tunnels, but-"

"-not with Fabian. Is this a love triangle thing with Mara?"

"You can say that. Hey, can I get your advice? From a guy's perspective? If a guy tells a girl he's in love with her, and even though he hasn't officially broken up with his girlfriend, he's still willing to date this girl he actually loves, what does that mean?"

"Well this guy, is desperately in love with this girl."

"And his girlfriend?"

"Well it depends. If he really loves her, he doesn't know what to do, but if he knows he loves this other girl more, it sort of depends on the guy on what he'll actually do."

"And if this girl he loves, loves him back, and she tells him, but she also doesn't want to ruin the other girl's heart, how would the guy feel, and what should the girl do?"

"Most likely the guy will be heartbroken. And what the girl should do is entirely up to her. She can choose to leave the guy as he is, or comfort him, or comfort and date him. But if this guy has told her he loves her, then the girl should've been delicate with his heart whether she wanted it or not."

"Thanks, Eddie. You're kind of wise, you know?"

"If by wise you mean average intelligence and cheating off information from online love magazines, then yes, I'm wise," Eddie joked.

Nina laughed. "Still have a sense of humor, I see."

"Hey, about us-I mean the whole dream I had, Osirion thing, ya-da-ya-da-ya-da. Not as in...us-"

"Right. I didn't think that."

"I was thinking that maybe I still protect you. I protect the one with the locket. But I also protect Mara as well. She just wasn't in my dream because I've protected you the longest."

"Sounds pretty simplistic. No doubt average intelligence came up with that one."

Eddie smiled. "Should I see that as an insult?"

"I don't know. Maybe your average intelligence can figure it out."

"Wow. I should've seen that coming," Eddie grinned. "You know, it's nice hanging out with you."

Nina nodded. "You too, Eddie."

Eddie smiled. It was nice being able to relax around someone who wasn't, well, Patricia once in a while. Someone who he could just joke around with instead of having a love hate relationship.