Use of the Flute

Nina and Eddie made it up from the basement and found the others in Fabian's room. They were updated on the information being discussed, and then Nina held up the golden flute with the mouthpiece as a snake head. Fabian took it carefully and examined it.

"It's a snake charmer," Eddie explained.

"For a certain snake?" Fabian asked.

"It's a good thing you guys have me," Mara bragged. "It looks exactly like the flute used to charm Set's snake. I read in an article that the ancient Egyptians used the flute against the golden snake of Set to defeat it every new year when it came down along with Set's wrath. Considering the fact all of the Egyptians rejoiced outside in festival that day, Set appears to be very clever to mark that day as the day he attacks."

"So we have to wait until New Years?" Alfie asked.

"Actually-" Mara began.

"-actually they believed New Years was midsummer, when the sun is at its strongest," Fabian interrupted. "Also known as the summer solstice, and when they celebrated the flooding of the Nile river as well as rejoiced to Isis."

Mara took a deep breath to ignore the fact Fabian just stole her spotlight. But she made a comeback by saying, "The solstice is June 21st, the longest day of the year, with the shortest night. Ancient Egyptians believed this was the ending of light and beginning of dark, and until 182 days later, it marked the half of the year known as the Waning. As compared to a Waning moon to some extent. And when using the snake charmer on that day, they had to perform the song right when the snake was vulnerable, at the eleventh hour." She looked at Fabian. "Did you know that, Fabian?"

"Well, I-" Fabian swallowed.

"-The eleventh hour?" KT questioned. "Like 11:00am or 11:00pm?"

"The eleventh hour means the last possible moment in which you can do something," Fabian commented.

"Or, in other words," Mara added, "there's only one moment we can do this, and we better get it right because there won't be another chance."

"So, what's the song?" Nina asked.

"It's most likely buried in centuries of history. The first step is to research," Mara replied. "As well as study this artifact and the letters and the photographs."

"Uh, that's kind of my thing," Fabian vouched.

"Then we do it together," Mara declared. "Tonight."

"I guess-I guess we do," Fabian agreed shyly.

"It's a date."

"A date?" Nina couldn't help but find herself saying.

"As in a plan to do something. We're not dating anymore, I suppose. And Nina, we did make that agreement-"

"-what agreement?" Fabian asked.

"Tonight. We look into this," Mara changed the subject. She handed Fabian the flute. "Keep it safe until tonight."

Fabian nodded.

~~~~~

KT, Mara, and Nina left the room together, first making a pit stop to the kitchen before heading upstairs. KT pushed the swinging door open, but it made a quick stop, and they heard shattering glass and a squeal.

They tried opening it again, slower this time. Willow was hurriedly rushing to clean up the broken glass of four glass cups filled with tea. She had put the tray on top of the island.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," KT apologized. She began helping, followed by Nina and Mara.

When they were done, Willow smiled. "It's alright. We all make mistakes."

KT, Mara, and Nina remembered their discussion with the others on how Willow could possibly help with Jerome.

"Willow," Nina began as Willow began fixing more tea, "did you sense when Jerome was possessed? Like, did you feel 'bad vibes' or something?"

"Oh yeah," Willow replied honestly. "I actually sensed bad vibes when we first arrived, so that night I put Cyprus oil all around the house, inside and out. And I knew it grew stronger one night, so I'm assuming that was the night Jerome was possessed. But I'm trying not to go overboard with my reaction because a lot of people in college say it's very, very strange." She resumed pouring the tea.

"Do you think you could get Set out of Jerome?" KT asked. "Or maybe, communicate to Jerome some way?"

"Oh no, no, no. I'm not dealing with that. What if something goes wrong? I don't think I'm prepared."

"Come on, Willow," Mara encouraged, "just try something. Please."

Willow thought for a moment. "Ok. But I must prepare. And it mustn't be tonight, but tomorrow night."

"Oh, thank you, Willow," Nina thanked.

Mara and KT agreed as they gave Willow hugs. Willow smiled from all the hugging, and she left before the others to get the tea upstairs.

"She can do it," Nina breathed. "I believe she can do it."

"Just need faith, right?" KT responded.