Research

That night, right before Mara was leaving her room to go work on the task with Fabian, Jerome snuck out of his room and out of the front door. He walked in his black coat and scarf to Anubis house. He picked his way inside and headed down to the cellar, making his way through several secret passages before finally revealing a sliding wall to an enclosed room. He made it open, with Set's powers.

Joy was asleep, against the wall. Jerome slowly made his way to her, but she woke up and shot up when she saw Jerome. He made the wall slide closed behind him.

"Just so you don't get any funny ideas," he commented.

"I know you're Set," Joy confessed. "I know you're not really Jerome."

"And where does that get you? If you forgot, you're locked in this little room. You can't get out." Jerome crept towards Joy as she crept further away. "You've been in here an entire day's time now. You'll survive up to four more days now, six if you're lucky. Humans can't go so long without water."

"I won't die here. I can't."

"Who's gonna rescue you? Who knows where you are, other than me?"

Joy tried to be strong for the longest she could, but she just gave in. She began crying; she was convinced already that she wouldn't be saved.

"If only I had sympathy for you," Jerome mocked. "But sadly I don't."

"Jerome, if you can hear me," Joy began, "fight Set. Not only for me, but for you. Fight Set, please."

"He can't hear you. Sadly, he's unaware of everything."

"Whatever you're planning Set, and whatever you're doing to Jerome will repent against you, and you will be driven back into an unearthly hell never to see natural light again. I know what you are, and I know who you are, and you don't scare me anymore. The fact I may die here may be a bit frightening, but you aren't my fear."

Jerome looked down at her. He left the room in silence, heading back to the summer house. Set didn't really know what to feel upon those words.

~~~~~
Mara went into Fabian's room, and he was awake already, reading the letters. Mara closed the door behind herself, and she sat at the foot of Fabian's bed with her legs crossed. She opened up her laptop and placed her flashlight beside her, shining on the keyboard. She also found the golden flute that Fabian was keeping safe and put it on the bed. They worked hastily and almost perfectly, not making any contact whatsoever. It seemed that with brains like theirs, there was no need to speak while still working, in some way, together.

After Fabian had circled important information throughout the letters after reading them over and over again, he picked up the golden flute. He'd never plain a flute before. He was about to blow a note through the mouthpiece until Mara looked up and snatched it away.

"What're you doing?!" she yelled in a whisper. "If you do something wrong the entire-world could blow up!"

"Don't you think you're exaggerating?"

"We can't take any chances with this thing. I'm still looking up the tune for the snake charmer, and I'm finding snake charming tunes, but I can't tell which one is the right, ancient Egyptian one."

"Then I'll look too." Fabian grabbed his laptop and began searching as well.

Mara had put the flute beside her, and she thought about looking at the notes to see if Fabian missed anything.

"Can I see the notes?" she asked.

"Can I see the flute?" Fabian asked at the same time.

She and Fabian both reached forward at the same moment, their arms crossing paths and their faces only inches apart. They were on the verge of leaning forward until Fabian's door opened with a click, and they jumped.

"Hey, came to see if you were making progress-oh..." KT realized what was actually going on. "Am I interrupting something?"

"N-no," Fabian stuttered, eyeing Mara. "Noth-"

KT and the other two heard the front door to the house being unlocked, and KT immediately scurried all the way into Fabian's room and shut the door. They heard nearly-silent footsteps coming their way, and they heard the click of the door next to Fabian's room, and the closing of it.

"That's Jerome's room," KT realized in a whisper. "Where has Set been?"

"Maybe he went to see Joy, since she's not in the tunnels," Fabian suggested.

"How are we going to find Joy?" Mara asked.

"Willow," KT replied. "Since she agreed to help us, she'll be our first resort and then if that doesn't work, we think of something else."

Mara and Fabian nodded in silent agreement. KT sat beside Mara, helping the best she could until they felt it was time to go back to their rooms and get some sleep.