Keeping Them Separate

Fabian, Patricia, and Willow saw Mick from the middle of the stairs, just as he was walking from the hallway of the boys' rooms.

"Hey, guys," he greeted. "Willow." He smiled at her.

"We need to tell him," Patricia whispered.

"No. He's never been involved in this stuff,"'Fabian retaliated.

"Am I still in this conversation or what?" Mick interrupted.

"Listen," Patricia headed down the stairs, "Mick, how would you like to go canoeing-with Fabian?"

Fabian froze in place for a second and ran down to him as well. "Yeah. Just us."

"I suppose..."

"Great!" Fabian pulled him along, outside.

Willow went to Patricia's side.

"What's the plan for Jerome?" Willow asked.

"This is your call now, Willow. Come up with something."

And Willow sparked an idea.

Jerome came out the kitchen and stopped when he noticed Patricia and Willow staring at him. Willow went to him, grabbed his arm, and pulled him over.

"Jerome, how would you like to play dress up with Patricia and me?"

"What?" Patricia questioned in disbelief.

"Sorry," Jerome apologized, "but last time I checked, I'm a dude."

"Tea party then?" Willow suggested. "With my stuffed animals."

"Boring," Jerome sighed. "What else you got?"

Willow thought for a moment. "Human origami."

"Sounds painful. I might as well just go to my room-"

Patricia held him back. "No. Willow, any other good ideas?"

"Play cards?" Willow suggested quietly.

"Ok then. Cards it is," Jerome agreed.

Willow pulled Patricia and Jerome along with her, up to her room.

~~~~~

"Are you ready to go back yet?" Alfie asked.

"Just a few more moments please," Amber responded.

Alfie nodded. "How's New York been?"

"Amazing. It's like it was my meant-to-be city."

"Amber-rific, is it?"

Amber nodded. She swallowed and confessed, "I love you Alfie."

"Wha-"

Alfie was interrupted by Amber's sudden motion forward, her lips against his. And he almost fell into the moment-a magnetic moment, where he was the metal being pulled in-until he realized what was happening. He pushed Amber off and stood up as Amber looked up at him guiltily.

"What're you doing?!" Alfie exclaimed. "I've got a girlfriend waiting for me up there-" Alfie pointed upwards, "-and I'm not cheating on her down here!"

Amber slowly got up. "Alfie, I-"

"-can we please just get back?"

Alfie began his way back through the tunnel, followed by Amber.

~~~~~

Fabian and Mick used one canoe to paddle their way out in the lake. They rested for a bit in the center of the lake.

"Is it just me, or is this a bit awkward?" Mick asked.

"Oh, it's awkward," Fabian responded. "But we're like brothers so that makes it less awkward."

"So, buddy...why are we out here anyway? I'd kind of like to hang out with the others too, you know? Maybe get a little closer to KT and/or Willow, if you know what I mean?"

Fabian made a fake laugh. "Willow has a boyfriend. Alfie. But give KT all you got."

"Excellent. I know last time I was with you guys, Mara and Jerome were together. I wonder how that's going."

"It's not," Fabian told him quickly. "Jerome is actually with Joy, and Mara-" he whispered to himself, "-we're a bit complicated."

Mick overheard him. "You two?! Then again, how could I not see that coming? Are your complications because of Nina?"

"Ye-Kind of. But, let's not talk about that right now, please?"

"Sorry. Just trying to make conversation. What do you want to talk about then?"

Fabian was on the verge of telling him what happened to Jerome with the whole possession issue, but he decided it was best not to.

"Is there something you need to tell me?" Mick asked, noticing Fabian's expression.

"How about we row back and go for a stroll?"

"I'd rather just go back in the house. See what the others are up to. I didn't just come here for you Fabian."

Mick laughed and Fabian faked another one as they both paddled back with their oars. As long as he was with Mick, he could protect him from Jerome. They just couldn't end up alone together.