Up in the Attic

Nina checked Fabian, Alfie, and Eddie's room, as well as the kitchen. She noticed they weren't anywhere to be found. When she went back upstairs as she saw Willow exiting her room, she asked:

"Have you seen Alfie, Fabian, and Eddie?"

Willow shook her head. "Maybe they went out."

"Maybe, but with everything happening here, I have to worry. Did Set find out we're all onto him?"

"Of course not...I think."

"I'll try calling them," Nina suggested.

They both went into Willow's room, closing the door because open doors were dangerous in this time of their lives. Since she first ran across Alfie's name in her contacts, she called him.

~~~~~

Mr. Sweet and the caretaker, whose name was Mr. Wright, had just left the kitchen area and were about to head to the boys' rooms when they heard a ringtone go off from upstairs.

Alfie jumped back, tugging his phone from his pocket and putting it on silent.

"Alfie!" Fabian yell-whispered.

"What was that?" Mr. Wright asked.

"It sounded like a cell phone, and I don't know why that would be here. I'll go check it out," Mr. Sweet insisted.

"I'm right behind you," Mr. Wright replied.

They both slowly made their way upstairs. Fabian closed the doors they were hiding behind all the way.

"Into the attic," Fabian instructed. "Now."

Fabian and Alfie took off, and Eddie as well, shortly after. He gave the barrette to Fabian to unlock the door, but there was pressure with the approaching footsteps. He finally jiggled it right, and the door was unlocked. He pushed the others inside, and quickly but gently closed the door just as Mr. Wright and Mr. Sweet peeked in that corridor.

"There's nothing here," Mr. Sweet observed.

"But that noise had to come from somewhere," Mr. Wright declared. "I know it was in this direction. What's through that door?" He pointed towards the attic.

"That's the attic, but I don't see why anyone-"

"-open it. I want you to open it. Do you have a key?"

"Well, yes but-"

"-open it."

Fabian, Alfie, and Eddie scrambled to the far back of the attic, hiding behind a bunch of cluttered junk. The door handle was being tampered with, and the door finally opened. The three guys controlled their breathing, and Eddie, having to block the voices out, was focusing on being as quiet as possible.

Mr. Sweet and Mr. Wright both looked around the attic briefly.

"Why would a cell phone have rung without the carrier?" Mr. Wright questioned.

"Maybe it was figment of our imaginations," Mr. Sweet suggested.

"Both of ours? Oh, no, no, no. That's not the case." Mr. Wright inched closer to that junk pile; closer to Fabian, Alfie, and Eddie.

At the same time, Eddie was struggling to ignore the whispers he kept hearing, but it was a bit difficult. It actually made him lightheaded trying.

Mr. Wright popped into their view, pulling Alfie out from behind there, then Eddie, and then Fabian. Eddie leaned against Alfie as if he were sick, and Fabian eyed him from his other side.

"Who are these children?" Mr. Wright asked sternly.

"Edison?!" Mr. Sweet observed.

"Who are these people?"

Before Mr. Sweet could answer, Eddie fell forward off of Alfie's shoulder, passing out.

~~~~~

They've been found, Eddie's passed out, and they're stuck in the hands of Mr. Sweet and Mr. Wright. Discussion question time! Do you think they'll be let off the hook? Why did Eddie pass out?