Chapter 9

Who said that these were dates? I’m just here for the free food.”

    Randy placed his hands over his heart and faked hurt before laughing, “That hurt Kaity.” He walked over and set his hands on my hips keeping me in place. I laughed in his face and made fun of him, “Your such a baby, now move so I can get me some food,” he stayed there and just looked at me.

    “Kaity will you do me the honor of being my guest to this impromptu date?”

    “If I say no, do I still get my food?’ I stared him down skeptically until he answered.

    “Yeah I guess you still would.”

    “Then, yes I will be your date to this impromptu feast.”

    I pushed him out of my way and made my way to the table where my favorite food was sitting there I sat down and started eating. He laughed at me before sitting down and eating too.

    We ate in a relaxed atmosphere and when we were done Randy got up and came back with a chocolate cake. He told me to close my eyes which I did and a few seconds later he told me to open them. I did so and saw a sight almost worth crying for.

    The cake was chocolate with chocolate icing. Then written on top was, “Will you be my Girlfriend?” Next to it was a single pink rose, and a necklace that said KMM

    I put my hand on the necklace and sat there memorizing this scene. I was taken out of my own thoughts by his lips on my cheek. I look at him and smile before he asked me if I would like to go on a walk with him. I stood up still partially in my own world, and changed into a pair of tight jeans, boots with heels, a tank top and my leather jacket. I exited my room and saw him standing there in his jeans and a tight white tee shirt. He held his hand out for me and I walked up and grabbed it.

    Okay I know this sounds corny but I have to say it felt like the spaces between my fingers is where his were meant to be. We left my apartment and locked it before heading down to the street and towards the car, I decided we were going to walk the pier, but not walking to the pier. It was a 5 minute drive and when we got there I remembered the party going on in the dorm house that is beach front. We get out of the car and can clearly hear, ‘Smack that’ playing from the house’s speakers. I laugh and grab Randy’s hand and ran towards the pier. About half way down the pier I stop and start dancing. We dance until the song is over and then I laughed uncontrollably from the fun I just had.   

    We go and sit on one of the benches before I stop. The soft breeze coming up off the ocean calms and the lights from the party leave just enough to see. I set my head on his shoulder and stare out to the water. Before I could stop myself I started talking.

    “Sometimes when I get really upset, or confused, or stressed I just come out here and watch the water and how it is forever at the mercy of the wind. The air calms me and makes me feel safe. I come out here when I miss my parents, when I think of my brother in the war, when I think of my grandparents, when I think of my friends, when I think of my life and how one simple choice could change the entire thing. I think of my high school life and my dreams of falling in love and how those all crash and shatter to the ground. Out here it seems as if the fictional is reality. I come out here to write a lot and get my emotions out.”

    I raise my hand to my necklaces and take both of them off. My pearls; one that my grandpa gave me my 13th birthday and the other that my other grandparents gave me Christmas when I was 10 I think. I take them both of the chain and put them on the same chain as Randy’s gift. When I was done I set the extra chain in my pocket and set my head back on Randy’s shoulder.