Chapter 19

Randy and I woke up the next morning to two girls jumping on us. I slowly sat up as the girls giggled around us. Britney was very hyper this morning, “Kaity, Daddy, guess what today is?”

    Randy sat up and checked his phone before pulling his daughter in and answering, “Today is Thursday.”

    She chuckled and shook her head and waited for our answer but when we didn’t answer McKenzie did. 

    “Happy Thanksgiving Day!” My jaw dropped and I scrambled over Randy to grab my phone and sure enough I already had several calls and text messages wishing me a ‘Happy Thanksgiving.’ I blinked rapidly trying to bring everything to focus, wow what a literal wake up call. I sent the girls to get dressed while Randy and I went downstairs to start breakfast and talk about plans.

    “Well,’ I started, ‘My family tradition is to go up to my parent’s cabin and spend the weekend up there.”

    “Well, I guess that’s what we will do then. How long of a drive is it?”

    “We don’t have to; will Britney be okay with it? And it’s only a 4 hour drive to the middle of nowhere.”

    “No that’s fine, and she will have so much fun. So we will all eat a quick breakfast and head out. Call your parents and let them know we will be in around 2pm.”

    I did as he said and when I came back in both girls were putting their dishes in the sink and putting their shoes on. They had bags packed with stuffed animals and little books to read. I smiled as I put the stuff in my car and ran upstairs to change quickly. I grabbed some clothes for each girl for the weekend and some for myself and Randy.

    When everything was in the car we headed out. Both girls were asleep within 10 minutes of the road. I turned on my ipod and put it on my driving play list, and softly rocked out as I drove out of town.

    Randy fell asleep an hour after we left the house and that left me to drive. We reached Beatty, NV in good time and I woke up everyone as I pulled into town. We pulled into the candy/ gas station and I took the girls in to the bathroom while Randy pumped gas. We grabbed some food before getting back on the road. I continued to drive through the protests of Randy since I knew where we were going.

    In this half of the drive I put the windows down and turned the music up since the girls were wide awake and on sugar rushes. Yet as we reached the mountain I turned it down to talk to the girls.

    “Okay, girls I have a game to play. Now since we are in a forest there are animals. The first one to find one and tell or show myself or Randy gets 1 dollar. This is a game I played with my grandpa and we can play it so I don’t hurt any poor animals with the car.”

    The girls immediately started looking out the windows and searching for something. A song by Justin Bieber came on my ipod and the girls screamed and started singing along. So did I and that gained me a skeptic look by Randy, which I just shrugged off. We came of the mountain and only had an hour of swerved roads left. The girls went to sleep to avoid car sickness and I turned the stereo down and put the windows up.