Chapter 27

I woke up around 6 with Randy and we went down to the gym for a bit before going back upstairs to wake the girls up. We were all ready to go around 8 so we drove back to my aunt and uncle’s house where we were meeting before going out to the cabin I spent summers at while my aunt got the boat ready so when we came back down the mountain we could go out and fish or just play in the water for a while.

    We drove an hour to the lake and cabin than another 20 minutes up the 1 car road a mile up the mountain to the cabin. We reached the cabin and memories came flooding back. We walked up and into the cabin and the smell brought more memories back. The girls were so shocked at how small it was. I showed them upstairs where my grandparents stayed and where the guest room was.

     For the grand finale I took them to the back deck that over looks the lake. The girls ran to the edge and looked through the railing at the full lake. I sat down in one of the chairs on the deck and smiled at how they were taking it all in. Randy sat beside me and just looked out at the beauty. I got lost in my thoughts and without thinking I spoke.

    “My whole family would sit out here all day and all night. Reading, watching, thinking. It just seems so peaceful up here alone than in the cruel reality. We used to come up every summer, until my grandpa died we didn’t come up for a few years it was still to hard to bare. But after my grandma who owned this died I couldn’t stay away. It was the only place that brought me back to my family when everything was perfect and wasn’t tainted by growing up and living life.” I faded out and as a single tear rolled down my cheek Randy grabbed and held my hand.

    I got up and the girls started asking if we had to leave just yet. I laughed and said no but I continued to get up Randy’s hand still in mine. I walked to the other side of the house and stopped in my tracks. A few feet away there were 2 deer, a male and a female. They were super close to the house and to me. Randy started shooing them until I told him to stop. When I did I looked into the deer’s eyes and I saw my grandparents. More tears fell down my face as I thought about them. I spoke their names and the deer came closer to me I cried as I held my hand out thinking to myself how my grandpa would yell at me but I couldn’t help myself. The deer came close and put their heads in my hands.

    At that same moment Kenzie and Brit came out of the house. The deer looked shocked and scared. I told the girls to come over to me slowly, they did as they were told and I bent down to talk to them at their level.

    “Girls, so remember how I told you about my grandparents up here?’ they nodded their heads yes, ‘Well they loved the deer so these deer just like my grandparents came to make sure we were safe and healthy up here. I bet if you hold out your hands they will sniff it.” The girls did so and sure enough. They smiled and the deer looked content and turned and walked away. I looked at Randy to see him shaking his head towards me.

    I sent the girls to look at the lake some more so I could talk to Randy alone.

    “What’s the matter?”

    “Oh nothing Kaity but you never stop surprising me.”

    “What is that suppose to mean.”

    “That whenever I think I have you figured out you throw me a curve ball and I’m lost once again.”