Chapter 30

The girls were saying goodnight to Elaine and Bob since it was 11, when my phone rang. Pure dread shot through me as I answered the phone.

    “Hello”

    “We need to talk”

    “Randy I’m getting the girls ready to bed,’ the girls were at my feet asking to talk to him loudly I told them one minute and spoke again, “The girls want to say goodnight. Then I have to get them ready for bed I’ll call you after.”

    “I want to talk to them too but don’t hang up I don’t know if you actually will call back or just avoid it some more I’ll talk to my parents and then we will talk.”

    I couldn’t even coherently respond but I said a sullen yes and handed the girls the phone. They each had an ear over the phone and were talking to him for a few minutes before saying goodnight and handing the phone to Elaine. I sent the girls upstairs and looked at Elaine for help she just looked at me disappointed and I took that as it was and followed the girls upstairs. I gave them their baths and tucked them into bed before heading downstairs. It had been 30 minutes since we went upstairs and I was hoping he hung up but no such luck.

    I walked downstairs to see Elaine still talking to her son. She saw me and said her goodbyes and Bob just hollered them towards the phone as I walked towards them. Elaine held the phone out to me and as I grabbed it she spoke.

    “We are going to bed and we will talk in the morning me and you early, Goodnight.” With that I was left alone holding a phone in my hand not to my ear downstairs. I apprehensively raised it to my ear and didn’t even bother preparing myself for anything I knew this wasn’t going to be good no use in sugar coating it.

    “Hello” I said

    “Kaity –‘ I could hear Randy sigh on the other side of the phone and I think talking to the girls and his parents calmed him down a little. I walked outside waiting for him to answer and when he did it was obvious it didn’t really help at all.

    “What were you thinking? That job is a dream come true why wouldn’t you fucking take it? And your phone is obviously not broken so did you not want to talk last night because you knew your decision was wrong and you had a guilty conscience and couldn’t handle it? So you avoided me?”

    “Randy I didn’t take it because it would be best for the girls if I were here with them and they had a permanent place to live. It hasn’t even been 6 months since they lost parts of their families”

    “How do you know what is best for the girls? Have you talked to them, really sat down and had a heart to heart with them and found out what they feel about anything? No you haven’t you don’t know what they want, what they feel, what they need. You don’t know anything?”

    “And how do you know that Randy? Because you’ve been around your daughter for her whole life and know how she feels and acts.”

    “Because Kaitlyn I’ve been around her a hell of a lot longer than you. And almost every kid that age is the same if you can talk to one you can talk to them all. And also because I took a day and spent it with them we talked, laughed, and really connected. Have you done that? No you haven’t. Because you are still stuck in your immature phase of it is all about me. You don’t know the pain that they do. Yes you lost your best friend. One lost her mother the other basically did since she can’t see her.”