Chapter 12

woke up at 6 took a quick shower and put all of my stuff in my car before coming back in to say by to Randy. Yet when I walked into my room he wasn’t there, I walked into the guest room to see all of his stuff gone. I sighed before walking out of the apartment and locking up heading to my car. I almost started to cry again when I saw Randy leaning against my car with the sun rising behind him. I looked up to the sky and smiled, trying to find beauty in the pain as Audrianna always did.

    I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around his waist. He just silently held me as I softly cried starting to truly come to terms with what happened. I pulled away and unlocked the car so he could put his things in. I got into the drivers seat and he got in the passenger. We drove all the way to Vegas with only a few stops in between. I drove straight to my house to drop all of my stuff off. Randy and I set our stuff quickly in my room that hasn’t changed since my senior year in high school. I quickly left not wanting to relieve the memories in this room just yet.

   I drove straight to her house on the opposite side of town to see news vans and all that all over the street in front of her house. I parked across the street like I always do and walked over. There was no activity inside the grounds, but police security was still at the gate. I approached the gate with Randy behind me for support when I was bombarded with microphones in my face by the reporters. I walked straight up to the security guard showed him ID, said Randy was with me and left the news outside as I went inside to the last place my best friend was alive.

    I walked in the front door to see nothing had changed. I walked straight over to her picture hall on the way to her room. I first see the picture from our Senior Proms, since we went to each other’s (We went to two different high schools). Then her first big movie premier where I went as her best friend since we both were single at that point. Then I saw her in pictures on set and with my family which she had unofficially adopted as her own; and with her other friends and I smiled as tears fell down my cheeks. I walked into her room to see it just as organized as the last time I was here 3 months ago. I walked straight over to her desk where I saw an envelope that had my name on the front. I went to reach it when Randy grabbed my other hand. I looked up at him and as he looked down at me he nodded telling me its okay. I was about to pick it up when a detective came in and brought our attention to him.

    “Miss. Michaels please excuse me I am Detective Brown. I know this is a hard time for you but before we do, you have to identify the body. Now I know this will be hard so you can have one person come with you.’  I nodded towards the detective and while hand in hand with Randy. We slowly walked towards her in suite bathroom, and the detective opened the door and showed me my best friend lying on the floor. Her lids were closed and she looked like she was sleeping. I started profusely crying and fell to my knees beside her.

    Detective Brown interrupted my cry fest briefly, “Now Miss Michaels, I have to tell you she died from an overdose of depression pills. I’m truly sorry for your loss,” he handed me the letter I was about to pick up before heading towards the door, “I shall give you a few minutes alone before I ask you a few questions.”

    I sat there on my knees crying for a few more minutes while being held by Randy before finally getting enough courage to open the letter. I cried when I smelt her perfume and saw her writing I spent 10 years making fun of her for.

    My dearest Kaity,