Chapter 24

We woke up the next day went through our normal routine but I went and picked up the ornaments for the girls and the necklace for Randy. I also drove up to Pam’s house and got the pictures for his necklace.

    I picked one of him and the girls to put on one side which was black and white with him holding one girl on each side of him and them leaning in and kissing his cheek. He was laughing and it was adorable.

    For the other picture I got one of me and him standing in the little forest location with the sun looking straight down on us and just holding each other’s hands and smiling at each other. I put the pictures in before putting the necklace back in its case. For the girls’ gifts I got the picture of them hugging each other and smiling and put that in the ornament.

    I said goodbye to Pam and drove home where everyone was sitting around watching Christmas movies. I quickly wrapped the presents I had set them down under the tree that was already full and sat down next to Randy on the couch and watched Elf. We were about halfway through the movie when Randy’s entrance song started playing and he grabbed his phone before getting up and rushing out.

    My dad who was operating the remote paused the movie and looked at me skeptically. I got up and told him it was a business call and to continue playing the movie before walking outside where I saw Randy standing tensely and talking to someone on the other line.

    “But Hunter! Yes. Okay. I understand’ I walked up behind Randy and started to massage his shoulders as he finished his conversation, ‘Yes. Thank you Hunter, goodbye”

    Randy sighed as he set his phone in his pocket and turned around to look at me. He kissed my forehead, set his head on mine, and set his arms around my waist before I spoke.

    “Randy, what’s going on?”

    “Work, we can talk about it later though,’ He grabbed my hand and led me towards the door before finishing, “You should spend time with your parents we can talk about it later.” I skeptically followed him in and sat down next to him to finish the movie. When the movie was over we ordered and ate pizza. We had just picked another movie of Rudolph or something like that when Randy got another call and went outside.

     I knew it was work and he wouldn’t say anything to me so I stayed inside and waited. We heard him yell once saying something like ‘WHEN!’ but seconds later he was back inside and was starting to calm down so we all just continued watching the movie and I decided that we would talk about this soon. That was the last time he was called that day and the rest of the night went on.

    We ate a small dinner together before I gave the girls their baths. After we were all downstairs and then they opened their first gifts; it was pajamas since it was Christmas Eve for them. We sent the girls up to bed and they fell asleep quickly from exhaustion of running around with excitement.

    My parents were on their way up to bed when I was on my way back downstairs so they said their goodnights and went to bed. I went downstairs to see Randy sitting there looking tense and upset over something. I grabbed his hand and sat in front of him he looked up a little for his eyes to reach mine before pulling me into his lap. He set his head into the crook of my neck and breathed in softly before speaking.

    “Kaity, I have to cancel out reservations for next Saturday. Is that okay? I’ll explain more after this holiday season is over since you should be excited.” I nodded reluctantly before getting up off of his lap. He grabbed my hand and look distraught as he looked into my eyes looking for an answer.

    “I’m not leaving you Randy, but I have to go shopping for dinner tomorrow. I’ll be back.” He let out a breath he was holding and let go of my hand. I blew him a kiss as I walked over and grabbed my keys. I drove to the store and while sitting in the parking lot I gripped the steering wheel in frustration and screamed. Thankfully I parked towards the end of the parking lot so no one really saw. I got out and went in to the store where I bought the turkey we were cooking tomorrow and the little sides we always had. An hour later the clock was ticking at 11 and I was driving home. I brought every thing in and saw Randy sleeping soundly on the couch sitting up and looking like he was waiting up for me.

    It was going to be a close to sleepless night tonight so I walked over kissed his cheek lightly to wake him up told him to lay down and threw a blanket over him before saying goodnight and going back to work in the kitchen.

    I got the turkey marinating and the sides ready to cook and it was reaching 4 by time I fell onto the little couch.

    A few hours later I woke up to the girls jumping up and down and shaking myself and Randy and my parents walking down the stairs woken up by the girls too. I sat up and smiled at the girls who were in their pjs they got last night and obviously so excited.

    I slowly got up as my parents made their way down to sit on the couches that Randy and I were occupying overnight. I made my way into the kitchen where I started the coffee and told the girls to start handing out gifts 6 per person; the rest were for tomorrow.  While they sorted I made a quick breakfast of eggs and toast and had everyone come in and eat before we opened the gifts.    

    We started opening gifts around 7 and the girls opened them up one by one and I took a picture of each one. The girls loved their ornaments and were so happy they got up and put them on the tree immediately. The rest of the gifts were dolls and clothes. Randy got his watch and a gift card from my parents. I got some nail kit and a gift card. My parents got mugs with the girls’ pictures and several clothing items.

    With gifts done I had the girls and Randy clean up while my mom and I started on dinner. We baked the turkey and started on the sides while my dad told Christmas stories.

    Around 5 we all ate dinner together on our best plates and my dad carved the turkey. With full stomachs and sleepy heads we bathed the girls and set them into bed early with a promise of Santa coming the next morning. My parents said goodbye to the girls and got their things ready so Randy and I could take them to their flight.

    We made sure our neighbor was over and watching the girls and we left around 9 to take my parents to the airport. I said goodbye sadly and sent them on their way to go to my brother’s. While Randy and I were driving back he drove and held my hand the entire time and just drove and sat in silence.

    We had just pulled into our driveway when Randy looked at me and asked if tonight we could talk before we went to sleep. I was so afraid but agreed and apprehensively walked into my house.

   Nothing good came out of someone saying, ‘Can we talk?’… NOTHING

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow everyone thanks for all the reads and the votes and fans it is all unbelievably appreciated. 

We hit 2,000 reads lately which for some might be a little number. But that is HUGE for me and it is all because of people like you. So in honor of this monumental number of reads what do you want to do to celebrate? More updates more often. new cover? I have the next few chapters planned does a reader want to know what the plans are? Do they want a chapter dedicated? What do YOU want? Answer in the comments and thanks for everything

Love muchos muchos much,

Kaity