Party;;

Sophie's pov:

My cab halted right in front of Meghan's row house. The sound of music was already audible and there were endless cars parked alongside both the sides of the streets. I stepped out, walking towards the door.

Meghan had already called me 3 times by now. The sound of the music got louder as I went near. The front yard was full of people, heads turning as I walked by them.

The door was open as expected, the living room flooded with people slow dancing and kissing, with drinks in their hands. Few of them trying to hit on other girls while some of them already wasted.

I scanned the hall, searching for Meghan.

"Oh my goooood, Soph! You look hoooot!!" Meghan screamed from the corner of the room. She was dressed in a beautiful golden one piece which suited her. She almost ran towards me, careful enough to not trip over because of her heels.

"You look beautiful, my lady" she smiled, pulling me into a tight hug. "And thanks for coming!"

"You look amazing too Megs...just like always haha"

"Aw, thanks! What are you drinking?"

"Just some beer is fine." I responded.
I had almost stopped drinking after that awful incident that had happened to me a few months ago.

"Alright! I'll be right back." She hurried off towards the kitchen.

"You look gorgeous...um..Sophie" a familiar voice came from someone who stood behind me. I turned, to look at Kevin, twiddling his fingers, his eyes looking at the ground, full of embarrassment.

I did not respond. I had nothing to do with him. He was a playboy and he had used me. I hated him just too much. I turned around quickly to leave.

"H-Hey, listen to me Soph...Let's talk" he said again, grabbing my hand. I shook it off.

"Listen. I don't want to. I'll go. Also, call me Sophie, only my dear ones have the privilege to call me Soph." I hurried off to the kitchen where Meghan had gone.

"Just what the fuck is that asshole doing here Megs??"

She was startled. "Who?"

"Kevin. Now explain." I said folding my hands.

"Oh. Not my fault Soph, he's Jason's friend. You know that." She frowned. Well she did had a point. This party was arranged by her and her brother, so it wasn't exactly her fault that Kevin was invited.

I sighed. I just wanted to have some fun tonight but it seemed like I couldn't freely have fun tonight either.

"Look Megs. I have to stay away from him...I'll leave early." I said.

"What? Nooooo...fuck. Hell no Soph, It's going to be your birthday later. Just shut the fuck up and stay." She scolded.

"And, by the way...umm...I have to tell you something Soph" she continued.

"I've...Well, I've been somewhat in touch with Kevin after uh...your break up and..."

"Wait what? Why?" I freaked out.

"Hear me out first Soph. So I was in contact with him lately and to be honest, he has changed... I know he was a jerk, but-"

"He still is a jerk."

"No, believe me! He's nicer now. He asks about you a lot. Just talk to him once please? Maybe things will work out?" she said, sadness and sympathy for Kevin in her eyes.

I argued for a While. I definitely didn't want to talk to him. I just saw his face after weeks and that was enough saddening for me. But Meghan was persistent.
I shook my head in defeat. I had no choice, Meghan just won't give up.

"Fine, Just one talk and I'm done with this boy." I said leaving the kitchen and walking towards Kevin.

He looked surprised as I approached him slowly.

"Let's talk. I'll give you 10 minutes." I said firmly.

"Oh, okay. Let's get out of here first. Terrace?"

"Sure."

▪️▪️▪️

We were at the terrace. It honestly felt refreshing. The air was fresh and cool, the pleasant sound of leaves made by the wind.

"Oh, look at the time! Almost about to strike 12! I'll get drinks wait here, we'll cheer for your birthday!!" he said, turning to go back.

"No, I don't want to drink."

"I insist! It's your birthday Sophie. Come on, just a glass of beer... I know you like beer." He smiled and hurried off.

Almost 10 minutes passed by, he returned with two huge glasses of beer in his hands. He offered me one.

"Wait don't drink yet, 2 more minutes." He glanced at his watch.

"Meghan is going to kill me Kevin. She must be searching for me...." I said. She probably wanted to celebrate my birthday, but here I am....stuck with this ex of mine.

"Yes, It's finally 12! Happy Birthday Sophie!" he raised his glass, waiting for mine to clash it.

"Thank You...Cheers!" I said, not so cheerfully. I didn't want to talk to him. It was hard for me to believe that he suddenly changed. Even though Meghan confirmed it herself, I knew she was too naïve. This guy was sketchy, a typical asshole, a playboy, breaking countless hearts of countless innocent girls.

"Come onnn, drink it!" he urged, shaking his glass of beer. I took a sip.

"Umm..Kevin, this tastes funny. Which one is it?" I asked.

"Oh, the usual one...which you like. Maybe... are you drinking after a long time?"

I nodded my head.

"That's why! Chill, it's the regular one. Let's see who drinks it first...On three..One, Two, Three! Bottoms Up!!" He started drinking his beer as fast as he could.

I gulped down the whole glass at once too, I never used to lose at this. I smirked as he smiled looking at my empty glass.
Once again, I won.

He started talking. I listened patiently, even though something felt uneasy.