Burn;;

Sophie's pov:

I jolted awake as my phone buzzed loudly. I looked at the time as I picked it up. It was 10am in the morning. "Wow, so I overslept and missed my college again." I said to myself as I clicked the answer button.

"Hey, Aunt Maria! How are you?" I said cheerfully. It had been many days since I had spoken with her. She wasn't my real aunt...she lived just across the street in California and was my mom's best friend.

"Maria? Are you crying?" I asked, suddenly hearing sobs from the other line. "Sophie dear, come back quickly. Come to California." She spoke, her voice barely audible. My heart throbbed as she said that. She would never call so urgently and say something like that unless it's something serious.

"W-what happened? Did something happen?" I asked as I gulped. I didn't want to hear what I thought she was going to say, but I already had an idea about what is to come.

"Sophie...h-how do I say this to you..." I heard another sniffle. "Just tell me Maria! What is it? Is everything okay? Did something happen to you? Mom?" I replied, my voice already breaking from the assumptions I had made in my head.

I heard a sharp sigh. "Sophie...your mother... she's- uhhh...she's injured." She finally spoke. I felt a short pang in my chest as I heard her. Injured?

"Where is she? And how did this happen? Who injured her? And what exactly do you mean by injured-" I was cut off by Maria.

"Just come here right now Sophie... It was an accident." She cried as she went off the line. I didn't even realize that I was already crying. Without further thought, I stashed few of my t shirts and jeans into the bag, simultaneously trying to call Mom. The phone was switched off just as I thought.

▪️▪️▪️

-TIME SKIP-

▪️▪️▪️

Sophie's pov:

I gasped in pure horror as I stared at my house. I just couldn't process anything at the moment. I didn't even dare to go near the house and instantly turned around, now facing my neighbor's, Aunt Maria's house. It looked quiet as usual and without any further ado, I sprinted towards her door, now harshly knocking on it.

A tired woman, almost in her 40s opened the door, instantly pulling me inside and hugging me tightly as if she'd never hugged anyone in ages.

"What is all this Maria! Just what the fuck happened!?" I almost screamed in her ear, which made our hug break apart. She stared blankly at the floor, sadness creeping up her face.

"TELL ME PLEASE! WHERE IS MY MOM??" I shouted impatiently at the woman who suddenly broke into tears. Her palms on her face, she turned around, not wanting me to see her crying face.

"Janice... I'm sorry Sophie, I couldn't tell you this on the phone but... Janice... p-passed away."

I felt everything going black once again. What was I hearing? The ground underneath my feet started to shake. No, it was me who was shaking with fear and shock. My hands felt numb as my heart ached, trying to handle the sudden news.

My mom passed away?

Maria stepped forward once again, her arms a full stretch trying to hug me but I stepped back, my hands shivering and legs wob

No, No, No. This can't be true. This isn't true.

I kept repeating in my head as tears already started flowing down my cheeks.

"Sophie...dear-"

"W-what happened? I need full details." I stammered.

"It was an accident... The house burned down." Maria said sadly, wiping her tears.

▪️▪️▪️

A/N:

Boi, I hope my babie Jongho gets well soon :(
Also, what you think about this chapter? 👀