Ryan;;

Sophie's pov:

Maria picked up her shopping bad and headed towards the door. She turned around before leaving, giving me a small smile. "I'll be back in few hours Sophie. You stay home. I've kept orange juice in the fridge and the breakfast near the oven." I smiled back and nodded in response. I had just woken up. I had been staying at her house for a few days now.

She left and locked the door. I walked towards the window, stood there watching her walk towards the market. She took good care of me and was really nice to me, since I was a kid. My gaze went to the house across the street. My house.

It looked empty. Of course it was empty. I frowned as I kept staring at the dull house. I didn't know what was going to happen to me next. How was going to survive? Maria won't look after me forever. I felt burden on me.... I also felt like a burden on Maria.

Only a few people were present at my mother's funeral which was a few days ago. My mom's face kept flashing in front of me whenever I spaced out. She was in my dreams. She was everywhere. I missed her like crazy and felt like I was going crazy.

Just when my mind was clouded with all these thoughts, I saw a car, a big one at that, suddenly halting at the entrance. The car was black, which gave me Goosebumps. It felt like Déjà vu.

I stepped back from the window, trying to hide behind the curtain, still looking outside waiting for the owner of the car to step out.

An old man got down. He started walking towards the door. I panicked and started finding a place to hide. I had no idea who he was but one thing I had learned from the past few months was- stay away from people getting out of a black suv or else you'll end up in trouble.

The bell rang making me hide in the kitchen. I did not want to open the door but at the same time, I felt stupid. What if he was a relative of Aunt Maria? I waited for few seconds but the bell rang again. I sighed at my own stupidity and for being too insecure. He must be someone Aunt Maria knows.

Unwillingly, I opened the door. The man was wearing a tuxedo. He had greying hair and he looked like he was aging quickly. Everything he wore- from the tie to his shoes looked expensive. He had a small smile pasted on his face as soon as opened the door.

"Um, sorry Mr- but Aunt Maria is not home right-" I began but was soon cut off by him. "Sophie! Finally I get to see you! Look at you! You've grown up so much!" He exclaimed, as if he had known me for a long time but got suddenly separated and now he has met me after years. My brows furrowed, trying to remember this man. Nope, never ever seen him in my entire life, I noted myself mentally.

"I'm sorry but I really don't recall meeting you sir" I replied, trying to keep a short conversation so that he would go back quickly.

"Of course you don't remember me dear. I'm seeing you after almost 16 years now!" He sighed, suddenly sadness crawling up on his face. "I'm here to meet you after hearing about Janice. I'm so sorry dear, that this happened to you." He looked at me, sadness and misery in his eyes. I felt bad just by looking at him. He looked genuinely sad and he even knew my mom's name. I took a step back, opening the door more widely now and gestured him to come in.

"Please come in Mr- uh, could I please get your name?"

"Ryan. Call me Ryan." He answered and stepped in as I closed the door behind me.

He sat on the couch and I took a place right opposite to him. There was an awkward silence in the air, none of us spoke for a while. "Uh...I'll get some juice for you." I spoke getting up. "No, no. Don't. I'll be going back soon. Actually, I'm here to tell you something. You don't know everything, don't you?" He suddenly sounded dead serious. As if we were in a business meeting now. I gulped, not sure why I was getting restless all of sudden, but just looking at him and his serious face made me shiver.

"What is it?" I asked curiously and equally confused. This man knew me and my mom but he didn't mention who he is and he knew us yet.

"My dear niece, you really are way too timid. How can you be really 'my' niece? I really sometimes ask that to myself." Suddenly his demeanor changed. He didn't look sad or grieving anymore. He was smiling...More like smirking. Probably laughing at how stupid I am to let in someone so easily and trusting someone. My eyes widened at the mention of 'niece'. I froze for a long second, not knowing how to react to what I had just heard. Did he really say niece? Or am I just overhearing things?

Who was he really?

I got up immediately at which the old man shook his head. "Oh Sophie...Don't you want to know what is going on? You really are so reckless." He continued, without even getting up.

So, my ears weren't ringing and I wasn't dreaming. This is reality.

I thought for a split second.
He was right. I really wanted to know what the fuck was going on and what was his relation to me. 

I seated again, trying to keep my posture and trying to look as brave as I could.

He was willing to tell and I was willing to listen.

▪️▪️▪️

A/N:
Ik it's pretty random but can we take a moment to appreciate how good looking and powerful ateez in suits are -
Like damn, a whole ass buffet...