I'm Listening (michifer)

Just rewatched Avengers and I love the scene on the cliff with Thor and Loki... yeah it's based on that (also it's platonic, they grew up thinking they were brothers)

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Michael threw Lucifer on the ground, landing steadily next to him. It wasn't his goal to hurt Lucifer, but if he had to...

"Where is the sword?" he growled at Lucifer, who laughed. That bastard laughed.

"Nice to see you again," he said, a smile on his face.

"I am not in a gaming mood," Michael replied, grabbing Lucifer by the neck to raise him on his feet again. "Where is the sword?"

"Why should I know?" Lucifer said, then he laughed again. "I have sent it I know not where and yet here you are, begging me to tell you where it is."

Michael took a step back and tried to evaluate if Lucifer was lying or not. He settled on a no then changed the subject.

"As the protector of the earth, it is my duty to eliminate any potential threats," he rattled off.

"Oh, and you're doing a marvellous job at that," Lucifer snarled. "All these people fighting war, killing each other, geese, where have you been?"

"What happened to you, Lucifer," Michael said, his voice suddenly getting soft. "Our father didn't raise you that way."

"Your father," Lucifer replied, jabbing an accusing finger Michael, then scoffing at his surprised face. "Oh, he didn't tell you my true parentage, did he? He didn't raise me shit. He left me behind and ignored me, leaving our sick mother to take care of me. I bet he even told you I was his son, didn't he?" He had circled around Michael during his small speech so that he was standing behind him. "That I was your brother, your blood?" His voice increased in volume. "That I would serve by your side as you ruled? That you were the worthiest son, never mind  that I am not even his son?"

"Why are you turning on me now, brother," Michael persisted, "after all we did! We were friends, we grew up together, we fought together, we played together! Or have you forgotten this already?"

It seemed to be the last straw for Lucifer, who's face contorted in disgust.

"I remember a shadow, living in your greatness," he spat. "I remember a child, pushed aside for not being his brother, beaten for not being his brother, spat on for not being his brother. I remember admiring from afar, fearing you with all my heart, fearing that one day you would see me as I really was and turn on me like everybody always does! If there is anything I did that wasn't out of fear, out of terror that you would hate me, then please, be my guest, do tell me!" His tirade had ended in a scream.

"You died for me. Do you not remember that?" Michael said. It wasn't his choice to hate Lucifer. He didn't hate Lucifer.

"I remember doing what I was asked to, as a subject of yours. I remember every ounce of selfishness in me screaming at me to do it, that you would finally appreciate me." Lucifer snorted in disgust, mostly at himself. "But oh, how wrong was I."

Michael shook himself. He had to focus. Lucifer was a criminal to the world and must be stopped. That was it. Nothing more.

"I will ask one last time," Michael practically roared, "Where is the sword?"

"I will tell you one last time," Lucifer answered, a sliver of fear in his calm voice, "I do not know."

Michael was seeing red now. He went up to Lucifer, pointing his own sword at his brother.

"Listen carefully," he said, "I-" and was cut out by ball of flame that came from seemingly nowhere, propulsing him away from Lucifer and into the woods below.

And Lucifer, knowing where the sword was, knowing who attacked Michael and knowing that there was no one around so hear him, spread his arms, smiled and said "I'm listening."

I know it's been a long time, school's stressing me out, I'm in a bit of a blank phase so if you got any suggestions and I mean any, feel free to leave a comment!