Chapter 15: Wound Up (8 years 1 month)

The six-year-old blew out the candles. Saigon missed a few and quickly huffed them out as well. Aunt Karen moved into hug the boy. Raven's eyes hadn't left the cake. It was chocolate, his favorite, and he really wanted a piece.

"Alright, let's cut this up." Uncle Titus took the cake away.

Raven got even more excited when he saw Uncle Aden take the ice cream out of the freezer. Birthday parties were so much fun, he didn't understand why other werewolves didn't do them. He moved from the table and climbed onto a stool tucked under the bar.

"Can I start opening them?" Saigon asked his grandma.

"Go ahead," replied Aden.

The pup snatched the biggest box. Raven was torn between the cake and watching his cousin. He turned slightly and watch the wrapping paper be ripped off a remote color car. It had big tires and look really tough.

"Oh wow! It's like dad's big trucks." Saigon grinned from ear to ear. "Thank you."

"Mom," breathed Aden. "He's six. How do you expect him to drive that?"

"He'll figure it out." Aunt Karen smiled at her grandson. "I couldn't get one of those wimpy ones. It wouldn't survive the woods."

"It's not going to survive anything when he runs it straight into the river," muttered Aden. "Here you go, Raven." He sat a plate in front of the boy.

"Thanks." He smiled at his uncle and picked up the plastic fork.

Saigon opened the next biggest which was also from his grandparents. He took off the paper to reveal a helicopter. Raven's daddy didn't have one of those but some of the other packs did.

"Mom," said Aden sharply. "Really? A car is one thing, but he's going to steer that into someone's head."

"I couldn't help it," she replied. "They were right next to each other, and I couldn't decide. I figure you or Titus could help him. Some father and son bonding time."

Saigon slid off the stool and raced over to his dad. "Will you show me?" He bounced up and down. "Will you show me how to fly?"

Titus patted his head. "Of course, we'll figure it out together."

Aunt Karen nodded at Aden. "See, there's nothing wrong with it."

Raven ate his cake as Saigon opened up the rest of the gifts. One had clothes inside and another had a set of smaller cars. Jagger and Daven were excited about playing with those. Saigon came to the present from Darius's family. Raven sat on the end of his stool as Saigon opened the box.

"We let the boy's pick out the gift," said Storm.

Saigon lifted out a nerf gun that Jagger picked out, a monster truck from Daven, and lastly he took out a medium sized stuffed wolf from Raven. The boy smiled when his cousin hugged it and petted the toy's head.

"It's so soft."

"Just like my grandbaby when he's all covered in fur." Aunt Karen kissed Saigon's cheek.

"I'm not soft," Saigon stated. "I'm a dominant. Subs are soft."

Raven swallowed hard and played with his hair which reached mid-way down his back.

"I don't think so." Karen hugged him to her. "At least, he's finally saying dominant right."

Titus rolled his eyes.

Raven turned back to his plate and finished off his ice cream.

"Do you want more?" asked Aden.