Chapter 69: A Mate's Connection (15 years, 9 months)

A knock sounded on the door.

"Go away," stated Daven. He laid on his side in human form with a towel around his waist. He was too tired to look for any clothes or even shift forms.

"It's me," said Jagger.

"Go away."

"Look," Jagger sighed. "Can we talk?"

"Go away."

It was silent for a moment. Daven heard movement outside the door.

"I'm going back to school. I'll see you tonight."

Daven didn't respond. He wasn't going back to the academy today or maybe not even. He was sick of it, he was sick of everyone. Grabbing another pillow, he put it over his head to block out the light. His head still hurt.

His eyes closed, and it wasn't long before he gave into the exhaustion and fell asleep.

***

"In the novel, we are exposed to a political hierarchy that is used as a metaphor for different political systems within in the human realm," said Mrs. Oaks. "But even so we can still learn from the events described in the book and imply them to our own culture and society."

Jesse laid his head on his desk and watched the clock. Ten more minutes and then lunch. He skimmed his thumb along the pages of the book in front of him. By the stupid cover, the whole fucking thing was about pigs. Since when did pigs have to do anything with werewolves? Maybe if the author had chosen wolves to narrate his points, Jesse would find it more appealing. But pigs?

Appointed, elected, or luck of the genetic gene pool, his rank was never going to change. There was a knock on the door. Jesse sat up when he saw his father pock his head into the room.

"Oh, Alpha, sir. Is there something you need?" Mrs. Oaks pressed the book to her chest.

"Can I see my son?"

"Of course. Jesse," she stated. "Your father would like to talk to you."

The sub stood and gathered his things. He hurried out the door his father was holding open for him. Being called out of class was never a good thing.

Jesse stood in the hall and peered up at his father. Should he quickly apologize or just deny that he did anything wrong? The boy couldn't remember breaking any of the rules since the whole spilling bleach incident.

"I need you to come home."

"Is something wrong?" Jesse chewed on his thumbnail.

"Daven got in a fight this morning with Jagger. It was pretty bad."

Jesse's chest tightened. "Was it over Raven winning?"

The alpha nodded. "I said something I shouldn't have to him, and he's hurting."

"Like what?" The two started down the hall toward the nearest exit.

Trevor swallowed hard. "He makes me so frustrated sometimes. Daven has so much talent, but that temper."

Jesse scratched his upper chest. "The red does stand for something."

"I was mad, and I made an off-handed comment about how I should have offered the position to Jagger."

"And me," whispered Jesse.

"Losing your mother was the worst moment of my life. My chest still hurts when I think about her." He put an arm around his son's shoulders. "My word had the same effect on Daven, and I think he needs you right now."