Chapter 72: Butterfingers (15 years, 9 months)

Liam heard a squeal and jumped when Raven leaped over the back of the couch in the breakroom and hugged him.

"I get to go! My dad said yes. Thank you so much for the help."

"Wow," Liam breathed. "You really get to go to Europe?"

Raven was practically bouncing in his seat, grinning ear to ear. "I can't believe it either. But my dad said if it were Daven, he would let my brother go, so it's only fair I get to."

"That's awesome, Raven." Liam smiled and nodded. "When do you leave?"

"I think a couple weeks before the next school year starts." He sighed. "It'll be weird not being here. You guys aren't going to forget me, right?"

Liam scoffed at the comment. "Everything will be the exact same when you come back."

Raven picked at his fingernails. "I hope. You're going to have to keep Jesse company when I'm gone."

"I doubt it. He has a mate. It's the same with Vinny. He's never around anymore either."

"But Jesse can't really complain about dominants to my brother."

"True," Liam laughed. He laid back against the couch. "I'll keep my eyes on him."

Raven stood. "I'm really excited, but I'm going to miss being here with you guys."

Liam lifted his arms in the air. "We're not going anywhere." His arms dropped to his sides. "You're going to have tons of fun, Raven. Enjoy it. I doubt anything like this will ever happen again."

"I will." He turned to leave. "And thanks again. You helped me so much. I'll be sure to bring you back a souvenir."

"Just as long as it's not a snow globe."

"A shirt?"

"Sounds great."

Raven left and Liam sunk into the couch. Soon after, he heard Jesse's voice, and the two squealed and laughed before going into their room. Liam took out his phone and reread the message from his alpha. He tucked it away. The dominant had said no. He didn't want Liam. The sub let out a shaky breath.

He wouldn't let it get him down. Liam refused to cry over some bastard telling him no. The dominant sounded like an a-hole on the phone anyways.

The sub rubbed his face. He wasn't going to cry, but Liam really wanted to.

***

(15 years, 10 months)

"Go Daven!" Jesse jumped up and down.

Raven rose to his feet and urged his brother to move faster. "Come on, Daven!"

Liam remained seated and quietly watched the dominant cross the line in first place for his heat.

Jesse's head snapped to the scoreboard to see Daven's time put him into third, right behind Jagger. "He'll make it into the finals. I mean he should, right?" He sat down and ran his hands up and down his legs.

"That's one of his best times," said Raven.

The two sat down on the bleachers.

Liam took out his phone and started playing a game. Track meets weren't as exciting as some of the other sports as the sub was finding out the hard way. A boy with dark brown hair somehow convinced the guard to let him through. Liam eyed him and then looked away. He doubted the dominant wanted anything to do with him.

"Hi." The boy sat down in front of them.

Jesse glared at him. "What are you doing Cyrus? This is our sections. I can't see Daven over your big head."