Chapter 120: Flyer (18 years 11 months)

Jagger sped the treadmill up a couple notches. The girl next to him was giving him weird looks but he was practically sprinting. The dominant's head was so messed up at the moment. Raven had clearly moved on after their argument and it was pissing him off. After all these years, he had finally found the courage to make a move and he had ruined any chance he had with the sub just as quickly.

He needed to stop thinking about it. There was no way Darius would ever let Raven mate at such a young age, anyways. Then again, it wasn't the sub's age that matter. It was the dominant partner who had to be able to defend their own mate.

Shaking his head, Jagger felt his frustration start to boil up. Why couldn't Raven see how serious it was for him? Mates could be stolen. Hell, Raven had been kidnapped and nearly sold off to some pervert.

His foot slipped and he stuttered a step. Jumping to the side, he slowed the treadmill down and gasped for air. Sweat was dripping off him but Jagger wasn't ready to go home yet. Raven would be there. The same perfect, beautiful smiling boy that had alway been there for him. Muttering to himself, he wandered off to the free weights. Pushing himself to near exhaustion was the only thing that cleared his head and tonight it was going to take more effort than usual.

***

Raven tied his hair up in a bun on top of his head. Books were scattered around him.

Jesse wandered into the living room. "Hey."

"Hi. I thought you were going out with Daven."

With a groan, Jesse flopped down in the one empty spot on the couch. "He had to run back to the mansion to take care of some stuff. Being the next alpha is a pain in the ass."

Raven patted the sub's leg. "I sure he'll come and cuddle with you tonight."

Rolling his eyes, Jesse sunk down lower. "Where's Jagger?"

"At the gym. He seems to be living there recently." Raven turned a page.

"Because both of you are being difficult and refuse to talk."

"There's nothing to talk about. He's not ready. I am. Neither of us committed to anything, to begin with."

Jesse laid his head back on the couch. "You two are making it hard to live here. Jagger has never been a big talker but he might as well be mute now. All he does nowadays is grunt and run out the door."

"That's not my problem." Raven pursed his lips. "He's a big boy. I'm not going to force him to say anything he doesn't want to."

"The semester is almost over." Jesse eyed the other sub. "What are you going to do on that long trip home and having all summer with him?"

Raven shrugged. "Jagger is going to be just as busy as Daven. He is in the running to be the alpha."

"I thought it was confirmed that he would take over after your dad."

Turning the page with a bit more force than needed, Raven arched a brow. "Turns out the whole pack hates him because he's an outsider. Jagger is praying Saigon is the alpha and he's the beta. It's stupid. Jagger knows he's the next alpha. Everyone does. You can see it in the way everyone responds to him when he walks into the room."

Jesse chuckled. "You're so pissed."

"I'm not pissed," muttered Raven. "I'm frustrated. I've tried to talk to him and he simply tells me to not worry about it. I'm tired of trying to get through to him." He closed the book on his lap and tossed it onto the floor.

"You still like him, don't you?"

Raven leaned against his roommate and sighed. "Yeah."

***