Chapter 33: Sweet as Can Be (14 years)

Daven dropped his shoes on the ground and sat on the bed. An asshole, Jesse called him an asshole. Maybe Daven was just too use to Raven because he never thought he'd hear so many f-bombs coming out of a sub's mouth. He understood that splash of red on Jesse's chest now. The dominant leaned back on his arms. He hadn't been expecting that little outburst. The sub was so shy and looked like he was about to cry at any moment. It must have taken a lot for Jesse to just let Daven have it. He had never thought about how hard this must have been for the sub. It sucked for Daven to have to be in an arranged mating, but at least, he was the dominant.

Hearing Jesse call himself an omega had really irked him too. His head was already starting to see Jesse as something special. It bugged the dominant when it happened to Raven, and it was really annoying him with that word being used to describe Jesse. The sub was not an omega. Jesse would be the mate to the next alpha of Midfield. The boy would practically be second in command.

"Damn it." Daven rubbed his face. His head was so messed up. This is what it felt like to leave a mark on someone, and it was even more confusing because wasn't sexually attracted to the sub at all.

Shaking his head, Daven put on his shoes and stood. He needed to stop thinking about it. He had a birthday party to get through. Raven would be in heaven with all the sugar, but Daven didn't really care for the food. He was sure most of his gifts would be stuff for school too.

He entered the hall and walked toward his parents' room. He was also going to have to talk with Jesse. They'd need to make sure there was a garbage can nearby. The sub almost puke yesterday. All the color had left Jesse's face right before he ran off.

Leaning against the wall, Daven waited in the hallway. His mother appeared from her bedroom and spotted him. The look on her face told him he was in trouble. Raven without a doubt ratted him out. He braced himself as his mother marched over.

"You told Jesse you're straight?" She put her hands on her hips. Even in human form, she had a way of looking at Daven that made him nervous.

"It's the truth."

"Daven," she snapped, making him jump. "You do not tell your fiance of not even a week that guess what I'm never going to have feeling for you, I'm only in this for your dad's job. Do you have any idea how that made him feel? None of this is fair to Jesse. You at least were given a choice. You could have said no."

"Dad wouldn't have let me."

"You're the one that has to leave the mark, Daven. If you didn't want to, you could have said no."

The dominant swallowed hard. "Look, I get it. It's worse for him than me, but I'm allowed to be disappointed too."

"Keep it yourself." She met her son's gaze. "Jesse doesn't need to hear it, nor does he deserve to be reminded he's not what you wanted. He knows that. Don't rub it in."

"I'm sorry."

She stepped to the side and pointed to the bedroom. "I don't think he can hear you from out here."

"Mom," he groaned. "He was close to losing it yesterday. I don't want to push it anymore."

"I'm close to losing it on you," she pointed firmly at the door. "Now."

"Yes, ma'am." He shuffled forward. "Raven?"

His twin's head popped out around the curtain. "Yeah?"

"Can I talk to Jesse?"

Raven disappeared for a moment. The curtain moved to the side, and Jesse stood a few feet behind his roommate.