Chapter 125: Reverse Mating (19 years)

"I'm going to have you lead the patrol tonight," said Darius.

Jagger nodded.

"We've been having some problems with our northern border so that's going to be your group. Do you think you can handle that?"

"Yes." The young dominant kept nodding.

"Any questions?"

Jagger shook his head. "I know what to do."

"Great." Darius smiled and clasped the boy's shoulder. "Breathe, Jagger. It'll be a while before I retire."

"Yes, alpha."

"Go get some sleep. It's going to be a busy night."

The boy nodded and wandered off toward his room. Darius let out a sigh. Had he ever been that uptight? He was stepping up responsibilities on Jagger but the boy needed to know how to lead every aspect of the pack. Not to mention, Darius hoped it would build some camaraderie between Jagger and the other younger dominants. It wasn't helping that the future alpha was only around for three months of the year.

Darius started back to his room. His mate and son were heading this way with his mother. "Where are you three going?"

"To cool off in the river," said Rose. "Your father in your room relaxing."

"Be safe." He ruffled Raven's head fur.

"Dad," groaned the sub. "I'm not a pup anymore. I can swim just fine."

"I've yet to see it."

"Be nice," said Storm, eyeing her mate. "We'll be back in an hour or so."

The alpha waved and continued on. He found the black and red werewolf lounging on the furs in his room.

"Hey?"

"Hmm..." Xavier didn't open his eyes as his son sat down across from him. "Did you run into your mother?"

"Yeah, they were on their way to the river."

The retired alpha nodded.

"How long are you staying?"

Xavier shrugged. "I don't know. Perks of being retired, I'm not on a time schedule." He sat up. "We're going to visit Titus and Aden next week for a few days. I'm sure Karen will let me know when and where our next trip will be. She's been wanting to meet my sister actually and learn more about human packs."

"You being friends with Karen and Quint has to be the weirdest relationship ever," laughed Darius.

Xavier shrugged. "Titus got Aden and we got his parents. Karen is kind of an alpha in the human world. It makes traveling really nice. She handles it all and Rose and I tag along with them."

"She is a special woman." Darius scratched his arm and let out a sigh.

"Is something bothering you?" Xavier stood and went to the cabinet by the wall. "Do you still hide booze in here?"

The alpha chuckled. "Yeah. It's behind the box in the bottom shelf. I got tired of going to the supply closet."

Xavier fished it out and returned to the seating area. He flopped down and popped off the top. "Alright, I'm ready."

"My god, it's not that dramatic."

Arching a brow, Xavier took a drink. "I have a feeling what it is about."

Darius took the bottle and had a drink as well. "I'm worried about Jagger."

Nodding, Xavier laid his head back as he sunk into the fur. "It's exactly as I thought."