Chapter 45: Testing the Rules (14 years 5 months)

Jesse entered his room and trudged over to Raven, moaning. He flopped down on the bed with his head falling into Raven's lap. The long-haired boy had to hurry and move his book before Jesse crumpled to pages.

"Where have you been?" asked Raven.

"Lunch-dinner with my the family. Whatever you want to call it. Daven came with us and got to meet my uncles and cousins."

"Did it go bad?"

"My dad found out about the kiss." He wrapped his arms around Raven's waist. "Fucking Cyrus made a big deal about it."

"Jesse," said Raven firmly.

"I know. Sorry. It just turned out so bad."

Raven patted his head. "I'm sure you being slightly dramatic. If it were that bad, I would have heard something."

"Daven is not going to tell you. You'll tell your mom, and then the whole pack would find out."

"Thanks," muttered Raven. "He'd tell Jagger, and then Jagger would tell me. And I am capable of keeping secrets."

Jesse rolled to the side. "Hmm... so you haven't heard anything?"

"Nope." Raven turned the page in his textbook. "Cyrus is your cousin right?"

"Yeah, he just moved up to the dominant campus."

"I'm guessing Cyrus doesn't like my brother very much."

Jesse groaned. "Cyrus doesn't really like anyone when it deals with me. Since you know I get all freaked out around dominants, he's always been really protective. Even when we were pups, Cyrus wasn't afraid to fight fully grown werewolves who made me upset. My uncle River talks about it sometimes. Cyrus would climb the tallest thing he could find and puff out his chest and growl at people. He said it was actually super cute."

"Well once he knows my brother isn't going to doing anything to hurt you, he'll calm down."

"I hope. Brook and Cyrus are like siblings to me. I don't want my family to fight. We don't even talk to my extended family because of the rank issues."

"We don't have much to with my extended family either," breathed Raven. "My mom parents rarely come by, and her siblings don't like my dad. My family at Northern Ridge is really close though. My Uncle Aden's parents are always visiting too. They're like my adopted grandparents."

"That's nice. My grandpa hates me."

Raven jerked back. "What?"

"Because I'm an omega." Jesse shrugged. "He loved my cousins, but whenever he does come by, he says stuff. It always set my dad off."

"That's horrible. My grandparents have always been very loving towards me."

"You're lucky." Jesse turned onto his back and stared at the ceiling. "Very few people have that."

Raven tapped his pencil on his tablet. "The more I'm here, the more I realize that's true."

***

"This is so boring."

Raven rolled his eyes and looked at the museum brochure. "You could be back at school."

Jesse groaned. "It's better than that, but just barely."

Brushing his hair to the side, Raven read the information card about the set of dinosaur bones in front of them.

"Can we go somewhere?" Jesse rested his chin on Raven's shoulder.