Chapter 58: Transition (15 years)

Raven dropped his bags in his room. He had never been so upset to be home. The sub felt like crying, but if his father heard, Darius would just lecture him again about needing to grow up. Daven was gone. Raven had a reason to be upset.

Hearing footsteps, Raven looked over his shoulder.

Jagger stood in the doorway, holding back the curtain. "Hey."

The sub forced a smile.

Jagger took in a deep breath. "It's weird not having him here."

Bowing his head, Raven sucked in his lips. He didn't need to be reminded that Daven was no longer a member of their pack.

"It still kind of early. Do you want to go swimming with me?"

Raven shrugged.

"We could go to the hot pools by the border?"

His smile was no longer forced. "Really?"

"One perk to your brother not being here. Daven can't say no."

Raven bit his lower lip to make sure he didn't smile.

Letting out a sigh, Jagger nodded. "Well, I'll go check to make sure it's cool with the alpha and be right back."

"Okay."

The curtain fell over the door, and Raven started tearing off his clothes. It was so exciting! He never got to go anywhere, and for once Jagger wanted to hang out with him. He shifted forms and practically bounced out of his room. The sub's tail swished back and forth as he waited for Jagger.

The black werewolf left Alpha's room and grinned. "I'm guessing you're ready to go."

"I've always wanted to go there with you all, but I never get to."

The two entered the hallway.

"Your dad said just to be safe and to remind you to stay where you can touch."

Raven scoffed at the comment. "He yelled at me all the way home about how I'm not a pup anymore and then he still thinks I can't swim."

"Well," said Jagger uneasy, "maybe it's the not knowing how to do it very well part that's he's worried about."

"I can swim just fine." Raven marched on with his nose in the air.

A fairly large space formed between them. The sub stopped and turned around. Jagger just stood there with an eyebrow raised.

"What?" Raven grabbed his tail and started picking at his fur.

"Nothing." Jagger caught up with him. "Just wondering where this sass came from," he laughed.

Raven groaned. "It's Jesse fault. Everything is Jesse fault."

***

Jesse knelt on his bed and watched as Daven wandered about looking at his things. "Are you sure he wasn't mad at me?"

"Why would Raven be mad at you? I'm the one who signed it. It was our fathers who arranged it all. He has no reason to be mad at you."

"You are so dense." Jesse flung himself back and ran his hands down his face. "I stole his brother, but not just any brother, his twin brother. Raven's going to hate me." He glanced at his cellphone. "Maybe I should call him and apologize." Rolling over, he reached toward his nightstand.

Daven snatched it before Jesse would get his hands on it. "Do it later. Right now he's probably moping in his room." He tossed the phone to the end of the bed. "I've had enough drama for awhile."