Chapter 63: Something I Shouldn't (15 years, 2 months)

Raven jogged down the hall with an assorted basket of different meats and crackers. He had taken it from Daven's mound of gifts. His twin had three others, and Jesse had said it would be okay. Raven peeked his head into Jagger's room. The dominant wasn't there.

He stood there for a moment fiddling with the basket. Maybe he should just leave it. The sub bit his lip. He hadn't brought a card with him to say it was a gift. Raven glanced around and spotted some paper on Jagger's desk. After placing the basket on the bed, he went to the desk and wrote a quick letter saying that it was a present from Daven.

Raven folded the piece of paper and noticed the sticky notes he had left for Jagger hanging on the wall. His face heated up and he hurried over to put the note in the basket. The sub felt like that was something private he wasn't supposed to see. If anything, it made Raven feel a little awkward. He was kind of glad Jagger wasn't there.

With the note in place, he left the room and went straight back to his room.

His mother spotted the sub. "How did Jagger like the gift?"

"He wasn't there." Raven stepped into his room and started taking off his clothes. After shifting forms, he went back to the sitting area.

"That's weird," said Storm as she unpacked her bags. "Your father hasn't given him any work."

Raven shrugged and sat down. "Maybe he went to check on the grave."

She nodded. "He probably just needed some alone time."

"Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie?" She lifted out her dress.

"Do you think I'm doing too much?"

She put the dress to the side. "What do you mean?"

"Like maybe I'm being a little overbearing." Raven wrapped his arms around his knees and rocked from side to side. "I keep bothering Jagger, and I feel like he really just wants to be alone."

Storm shook her head at the boy with a smile. "I'm sure Jagger is very thankful he doesn't have to go to the eating chamber and deal with people. I think you've been very considerate of him."

"Okay, good." Raven let out a deep breath. "I'm just worried he's going to start thinking I'm annoying."

"Jagger would never think that."

"I'm not a dominant, mom. Since Daven been gone, we've been hanging out more." Raven sighed. "I just don't want it to be because he feels sorry for me or is too nice to tell me no like Daven."

Storm lifted her son's chin. "Jagger is a big boy. And I believe, most of the time he's the one inviting you."

Raven smiled and stood. "I'm going to go through my bag."

"Sounds good. Bring me the dirty clothes so I can send them out to be cleaned."

The sub nodded and disappeared into his room. Hopefully what his mother had said was true. The last thing Raven wanted was for Jagger to start thinking of him as the annoying kid brother of his best friend.

***

Jagger slipped into the cave. He tiptoed to the hot pools and dipped his hand into the water. Cupping some in his palm, he carefully pressed it to his side. The water turned red. Jagger clenched his jaw at the sharp pain. The wound hadn't sealed properly yet. He washed up the best he could before sneaking back to his room.

He needed to see what he was dealing with. Shifting forms, he turned on a lantern and went to stand in front of the small mirror in his room. It looked horrible. Jagger was very thankful that he had thick black fur to hid the bruise that was already starting to form around the claw marks. The middle one hadn't closed completely. It would probably take until morning for the skin to seal.