Chapter 39: Those Red Markings (14 years, 4 months)

"Do you think Dad is still mad at me?" Raven glanced at his mother.

"No, sweetie. I don't think he was mad at you to begin with." She tied off the loose braid and grabbed his shoulders. "It's that temper of his showing. That's all. The red stands for something."

Raven smiled to himself. "I'm starting to see that red markings do mean something." He leaned back against the bed between his mother's legs. "Jesse has a temper too."

"Then he'll have a chance at putting up with Daven." She rubbed his arms. "You got to be able to hold your own with your brother."

"I think Jesse will be okay."

She leaned down to his level. "Are you going to be? All this went on, and we kind of forgot about you." Storm hugged her son. "It must be hard to have your brother get engaged to your best friend."

Shifting his weight, Raven shrugged. "I know why they did it. I feel bad, though, that Daven was guilted into it because of me."

"Oh, Ravy." She gave him a squeeze. "He did it for the pack."

"But I was a big part of it."

"You're his brother. He loves you, but this is a good arrangement for everyone."

"Yeah," he sighed. "Will..." He bit his lip. "If someone, would..."

"Raven." Turning her son around, she raised a brow. "You better not be thinking your father will arrange a mating for you. He's made it clear to anyone who's even suggested or mentioned you, that his little boy is off limits." She tapped his nose. "There is no pack in the world, your father would let take you away from him. I promise you that."

He smiled and hugged his mother. "Thanks, Mom."

"Do you feel better now?" She tucked a stray hair behind her son's ear.

Raven nodded. "Yeah."

Beeping came from the door, and Jesse entered. "Hi."

"Hello," Storm held out her hand. "How are you?"

Jesse came over and sat beside her. "Good. My dad said we're going out to dinner with everyone."

"If you like. Jagger will be there. I don't know if you're comfortable with him yet."

"It's fine," said Jesse. "I'll just sit by Raven and my dad, so I should be good."

"Okay, I'll call my mate and see when he wants to go." She stood and went to get her phone from her bag.

Raven led his head against the bed. "My dad made me give Daven the code to our room."

Jesse sat up straight. "Why?"

"Is something were to happen, he wants Daven to be able to get in."

Wringing his hands together, Jesse chewed on his lip.

"I didn't want to give it to him."

Jesse glanced at the other sub. "I'm okay, Rav. I've been around your brother long enough that my anxiety isn't horrible."

"Still." Raven turned and rested his chin on his arm. "He came by. It was probably good you didn't have the man wall up."

Sitting up straight, Jesse looked down his nose. "It's going up tonight, and you're helping me. To repay me for giving out the room code to a dominant when you know about my delicate condition."

Raven laughed. "Yeah, your fiance."

Jesse shrugged. "Doesn't change much. I threw up on him the first time we met."