Chapter 60: Cry in the Wind (15 years, 2 months)

It was far too hot to be swimming in steaming water. Jagger trudged down to the river and walked out into it. This black fur was not helping. He splashed some water on his face.

"Jagger!" Raven jogged toward him. "Jagger, come on."

"I need to cool off." He waved the white werewolf off. "I'll be there in a minute."

"Okay." Raven hurried off to jump off the rocks with Saigon and Archer.

The two dominants were trying to throw each other off as Raven leaped off a lower platform. Jagger sunk down to his chest and watched the sub. It was funny to see the internal pep talk Raven was giving himself as he climbed up a rock just a little higher than the last. At least, the sub was getting better at swimming. Bring Raven along had always made Jagger a little unease. If something were to happen to the alpha's son, Jagger might as well go live with the humans.

Dunking his head under the water, he held his breath for as long as he could. The fur along his spine bristled. His head popped out of the water, and his ears twitched from side to side. He blocked out the noise coming from his pack mates and stood. A cry echoed through the valley. Jagger walked to the bank, his heart starting to pound. The soft cry floated through the air. His breath caught as he raced toward the tallest boulder.

"Jagger, do you want to jump off the big open with me?" asked Raven as the dominant hurried past.

He climbed to the top. Saigon went to push him but stopped when his eyes met Jagger's gaze.

Raven moved closer. "What is it?"

"Hunters?" asked Archer as he crept down the rocks and searched the forest.

Jagger shook his head. Screams, howls of pain, coming from over the mountain. "Bloodhound." He dove off the boulder and swam to the side.

"Jagger!" yelled Saigon. "Jagger wait for us."

He couldn't, Jagger couldn't wait. Something was wrong. He shifted to all fours and sprinted toward the pack border. The higher he climbed, the more he could hear the screams of his birth pack. His legs move faster as panicked set in. They needed him, they needed him now.

***

The young dominant relied souling on his instincts to lead him home. He never waived once from the straight path that led to the Bloodhound cave. He could barely get enough air into his lung to keep from suffocating as he forced his legs to move faster. He leaped onto the clearing outside the cave and skidded through the dirt.

Blood.

The ground was soaked with it as body laid scattered about. Jagger dropped to his knees and threw up. The strain and shock of it all shook his entire body. Gasping for air, he stumbled to his feet. He entered the cave. The smell of death was thick and nearly made him puke again.

Clenching his jaw, he fought to keep it together. "Grandpa," he said, walking further in. "Grandpa," he called his voice gaining strength. "Grandpa!" He screamed, pulling at his head fur as he turned in a circle. They were dead. Everyone was dead.

A soft cry came from deep in the cave. Jagger ran down the tunnel. He knew this place. He knew his way and entered a clearing. His chest tightened, and the tears broke through.

His grandfather laid on the ground in front of a small opening. "Grandpa?" whispered Jagger. He moved closer, but the body didn't move. "Grandpa, it's Jagger. I heard the howls."

He knelt and put his hand on the werewolf's shoulder. "Grandpa, please." He rolled the body over and covered his nuzzle. Under Oscar's fur were many wounds, but the blood was caked and starting to dry around the slice on the old alpha's neck.