Chapter 55: In the Closet (14 years, 10 months)

"Go Daven!" Jesse jumped in the air and pumped his fist. He watched as Daven crossed the finish line in third. Jagger just barely beating him to take second. Jesse sat down. "Do you think he'll make the final?"

    Raven shrugged. "He was in the second heat, and I think you're assigned based on times." He shook his head. "I'm not sure, though. This whole sport is confusing even though it's just running and jumping around."

    Jesse looked at the scoreboard. "I'll text him after the other races to see."

He watched his fiance walk through the center of the track with Jagger. It was the first outdoor track meet of the season, and the sub was hoping Daven would do well. The dominant had only placed in the top three once during the indoor season.

The gun went off, and another group started the full lap around the track for the 400.

"These take so long," breathed Raven.

"They try to keep it to three days, but I heard at Nationals, it's like a week-long thing."

"Nationals? How many schools are out there like us?"

"A few. We're the only one with the sub-campus, though."

"Not surprised." Raven leaned back against the bleacher behind him. "Have you ever want to do a sport?"

Letting out a sigh, Jesse leaned to the side on his arm. "Yeah, but even among subs I'd get my ass kicked." He glanced at his roommate. "You'd do okay."

Raven jerked back, looking rather shocked. "I doubt it."

"You're pretty tall."

"I'm taller than you that's about it."

Jesse laughed. "I guess that's not saying much." The scoreboard lit up. "Look, look!" He patted Raven's arm. "Jagger and Daven are fifth and sixth."

Raven groaned. "Great, I'll be spending all of Sunday here too. I'm bringing my homework tomorrow. Their events last two seconds and then we have to wait an hour."

Jesse was too busy typing on his phone to respond to Raven's moaning. His roommate could do his homework anytime, but to get to watch Daven actually do a sport and be fairly good at it was too exciting to miss for Jesse. His finished his congratulations text and pressed send. He couldn't wait until finals.

***

The door to their room open and Jesse was right there to hug his boyfriend. "Congratulations!"

    Daven put his arms around the boy. "I did okay."

    Jagger slipped past them and sat down on Raven's bed. The long-haired sub was typing on his computer.

    "You got fifth." Jesse looked around. "Where are your metals? I want to see them."

    Daven finished the two fifth-place medals out of his pocket. "I barely got high enough to get a metal. It feels stupid because it's usually only the top three."

    "Whatever." Jesse took them from him. "You did amazing. Congrats to you too, Jagger."

    The dominant smiled. "Only way to keep him humble is to continue to beat the next alpha of Midfield."

    Daven clenched his jaw. "One of these days I will beat you, and I'm going to rub it in your face."

    Jagger didn't look too scared. "Until that day."

    Jesse grabbed his boyfriend's hand and let him over to his bed. The sub examined the metals more closely. They had a shoe with wings engraved on the front and the place and meet on the back. It had been a good race. Daven had gotten fifth in the 400 in the human and werewolf races. Jagger was one place ahead in both races, and he even got third in the long jump in werewolf form. They both had done really well in their first meet. Jesse was slightly jealous that he could participate as well. He'd get dead last, but it would still be fun.