Chapter 59: Our Way Home (15 years, 1 month)

Jagger was last to enter the Perris' house and waited his turn to be hugged by Aunt Karen.

He smiled at her. "Hi."

"Oh my goodness, you're getting too big." She reached up and patted his cheek before wrapped her arms around the boy. "I hate how fast you all seem to grow up."

"It's part of being a werewolf," he said with a shrug. "We grow a bit more than humans."

Karen held up a finger. "I know that very well. You eat far more than humans and yet there's not a stitch of fat on any of you. It doesn't seem quite far." She wandered into the kitchen where everyone had gathered.

Jagger stood in the doorway and folded his arms. Saigon was sitting at the table with a two-tier cake in front of him. His parents and grandparents were all doting over him. Jagger smiled to himself. Getting a rank was exciting, but Saigon was going to find out soon enough it meant a lot more work.

"Alright everyone, gather around." Karen waved us closer.

Raven took the seat next to Saigon. The sub was eyeing the cake. Jagger was more interested in the other platters of food in the room. One thing about coming to the Perri's was it was better than some pack feasts. Aunt Karen really knew how to cook some good meat.

"Quint, light the candle, and then we can sing."

He clicked his lighter and lit the number thirteen place on the top and the smaller candles that were scattered around the cake. They all started an off-tune rendition of Happy Birthday so after. They finished, and Saigon gave the room a cheesy grin before blowing out the candles. His dad and grandma were videoing and taking pictures of the whole thing.

"Happy birthday." Karen kissed her grandson's cheek. "I can't believe you're a teenager."

"He's an official dominant now," said Darius folding his arms.

"We knew that from birth," laughed Xavier who stood with Titus toward the back of the room.

The boy just kept smiling.

"Can we have some cake?" asked Raven, peering up at Karen.

"After dinner." She carried it away. "So be sure to leave some room for dessert," she said to the room.

The sub frowned.

"Can I open my presents?" asked Saigon.

Aden nodded. "Go for it."

The boy started to rip open the first one. A claw formed on the end of his finger and he sliced through the tap.

"Even Saigon can do a partial transforming," Titus chuckled to his father. "I've tried to teach Aden. He still can't figure it out."

Aden turned slowly and eyed his mate. "I heard that." Turning to his son, he smiled. "What is it?"

With a frown, Saigon sighed and lifted out the shirt. "Clothes."

***

Jagger sat on the back porch with everyone else. Archer and Saigon were trying out the drone Karen had bought her grandson. It reminder Jagger of when they were little and Raven got his hair stuck in a toy plane. He smiled to himself. The neighbors probably thought someone died. Raven was screaming. Daven kept yelling it wasn't his fault.

He glanced at the sub that finally had his piece of cake. Raven noticed and gave him a shy smile. With a nod, Jagger faced award and watched as Saigon steered the drone into a bush. Titus hurried over to help them get it out without hurting the plane.