Chapter 35: The Plunge (14 years, 3 months)

"Happy birthday!"

Jesse groaned and shoved Raven away. "What are you doing?" He rubbed his eyes. "What time is it?"

"Time to wake up." The white werewolf smiled at him. "We need to celebrate."

"Don't want too."Jesse pulled a blanket over his head.

"Come on, Jesse."

"I said no." He rolled over and faced the wall. "I'm not into birthdays. Most werewolves aren't. It's normal."

Raven rested his chin on Jesse's shoulder. "Not your family." The werewolf grinned.

"What?" Jesse turned onto his back. This didn't sound good.

"You'll just have to wait and see." Raven climbed to his feet and basically skipped from the room.

Jesse didn't know what to make of it. This day was already starting out awful. Birthdays weren't his thing, and he had hoped this year's would pass without anyone figuring it out. Sitting up, he stretched his arms overhead. Getting out of bed, he looked for some clothes. Maybe he should just spend the day as a werewolf. It meant less laundry to worry about. He should just embrace the whole 'natural self' thing and sleep as one too.

Shifting forms, he stepped out of the bedroom.

Raven's mother was sitting with her son. She smiled at him. "Happy birthday, Jesse."

"Thanks." The sub scratched his arm. "Is there a reason we're up so early?"

Raven was all smile and was practically bubbling over with excitement.

"Still sleeping in until noon I see."

Jesse spun toward the hallway to see his father. "Dad!" He raced over and jumped into the man's arms.

Trevor hugged him. "Fourteen years old, you're growing up too quick."

"I missed you." Jesse tightened his hold. "Why didn't you say you were coming?"

"Something about surprises," Trevor laughed. He set his son down. "Have you been good?"

"He's been great." Storm stood and walked over to them with an arm around Raven. "It's been really nice for Raven to have someone to play with."

"Mom," the sub groaned. "We don't play. We hang out."

"Oh," she laughed. "Of course, someone to hang out with."

Jesse grabbed his father's arm. He really just wanted to go home. Northern Ridge was nice, and it was fun to be with Raven, but he really missed Midfield. "How long are you staying?"

Trevor put his arm around his son. "I'll go back in the morning."

"Oh," the white and red werewolf lowered his gaze to his feet. "Not long then."

The alpha tousled the pup's fur. "You're coming home with me."

"Really!" Jesse peered up at his father.

"We need to get ready for school, and," he took a deep breath, "I've missed you."

"I missed you too." Jesse hugged the man around his waist. "Are we going somewhere today?"

Trevor nodded. "Darius has arranged a little family outing. He says you've been doing really well. A few accident in the beginning, but things have been going well with Daven."

"I can be with him, but not alone. Raven usually gets stuck with us."

The white werewolf shrugged. "For once I'm not being left behind, so I'm okay with it."