Chapter 48: Pre-Season (14 years 5 months)

Jagger stared at the door handle. His packmate hadn't shown up for any of the classes they had together. He hadn't meant it. The other guys call them omegas, so it slipped out. He didn't think of Raven as an omega or Jesse. Going inside might end in a fight, though. Daven had red markings for a reason. Jagger had figured that out as pups. Taking a deep breath, he typed in the code. He slowly opened the door to find the red and black werewolf laying on his bed facing the wall.

"Daven?"

"Get out."

Jagger slipped inside and close the door. He leaned against it with the knob turn, just in case he needed a quick escape. "I didn't mean it. Honest, Raven and Jesse, I would never see as worthless. Especially Raven. You know that, right?"

"I guess," breathed Daven.

"I didn't mean anything by the whole friend thing either. You're like a brother to me. We've spent every second together since my grandpa brought me to Northern Ridge. Even after what my dad did to your family, you all took me in. Being here isn't going to change that."

Daven rolled onto his back and stared at the ceiling. "I've never cared if anyone liked me or not. Here it's different. It's not if someone like or hates me, everyone's just scared the shit of me. Part of being the alpha, I guess," he laughed, glancing at the boy by the door.

Jagger sat down on his bed. "I'm not stupid. I know most the guys trying to be my friend only do it because I'm going to be the alpha of Northern Ridge and that comes with a brotherhood with Midfield."

Laughing, Daven rubbed his muzzle. "We're both screwed."

Jagger chuckled too. "Yeah, we are. So what sport did you decided on?"

Daven sat up. "Well, I thought about basketball, but I hate it. I suck at it too. Rugby and football are ending so it's too late to do those. I didn't really want to do those anyways. Group sports might end with me killing someone because a lower rank mouthed off."

"Wrestling," suggested Jagger. "I saw a poster for that."

Daven groaned. "It's like pretend fighting. It's weird. I don't want to roll around with a dude for fun."

Jagger smirked at him. "Unless that dude is a certain strawberry blond."

Daven held up a finger. "Very true." He smiled to himself. "Oh god, that sub gets sexier every time I see him."

"Swimming?"

The werewolf shook his head. "I can swim fine, but I'm not super fast or anything. Archer would be good at that."

"That pup's good at everything."

"Very true."

The two fell silent for a moment.

"They do indoor track," said Jagger. "As like a warmup for the regular spring season. I heard some guys talking about it. They were tall skinny dudes, so I don't know if you're the exact build for it."

Daven stretched his arms overhead and groaned. "Maybe they're distant people. My dad did track in high school." He looked over at Jagger. "If he can do it, then I can. My mom always says we're like copies of each other."

"I'd be willing to try that with you."

"Really?" Daven sat up.

Jagger held up a finger. "One condition."

"What?"

"What's the real reason you want to do a sport? Something tells me this has to do with Jesse."