Chapter 73: Switch Up (15 years, 9 months)

Daven leaned against a hurdle in front of Couch J. "What was it you wanted to talk about?"

"I've just been noticing you've been getting frustrated with how your year's been going."

Daven sighed and glanced across the field at Jagger who was practicing long jump. "Frustrating is one way to put it, but there's not much I can do. I'm trying."

"I know you are. I'm not doubting that."

"But right now, I'm not ranked high enough to make it to Nationals." Daven took a deep breath. "I'll get to go because of the relay, but it still sucks I can't make it in an individual."

"You're not the fastest, but you have the endurance."

Daven sucked in his cheek and peered across the field.

"No one wants to hear that, I know. But the speed events might not be for you. You have amazing endurance."

"I'm not a distance runners."

"I was thinking the 800. Also, I'd really like you to try high jump. You have the power and height. I think you could do really well at it."

"Isn't it a little late in the season to be changing events?"

Couch J clasped Daven's shoulder. "Not if you're good at it."

***

Raven dug his finger into his skull as he tried to concentrate.

"Why not give it a try?" said Jesse.

"It'll just be a waste. I'd rather train harder for my other events."

"I think Coach J can tell whether or not you will be good at it. He's coached plenty of National Champions."

Daven slumped down lower on the bed and faced the corner. "I'm getting better at the 200. If I do what he wants and switch to the 800 meter and the high jump, I'll have to give that up or the relay."

"Relay is not an option," stated Jagger, as he swiveled back and forth in Jesse's chair.

Raven let out a deep breath and tried to focus on the paper he was editing for his brother. It was hard to when there was so much whining going on right beside him.

"Our next best guy would kill our overall time," said Jagger. "You're not dropping the relay."

"Maybe I should just drop the 400 because you always win anyways," snapped Daven.

"And I'll keep kicking your ass until you do something about it." Jagger faced his friend with a grin.

Raven rolled his eyes. "Just do it."

Daven sat up. "What?"

The long-haired boy turned in his seat. "Look, you have height and strength. That alone will give you an advantage. Not to mention you can jump crazy high when you're not trying. If your coach is as good as Jesse likes to go on and on about, then I think he well aware of what you can do without training. So do it." He faced the computer and fixed a grammar error. "Drop the 200. All the people who win that race are like Archer, not you. You need something that requires endurance. That's why you and Jagger do so well with the 400 meter. The 800 would play better to your strengths."

Daven moved to the edge of Jesse's bed. "Look who's becoming the track meet."

"I spend every weekend at them," stated Raven. "It's bound to happen."

His brother laughed to himself. "He's been hanging out with you too much." Daven stood and grabbed Jesse's hand. "We're going to go for a walk. We'll be back in a bit." He waved at Jagger and reached over to mess up Raven's hair.