Chapter 94: Welcome Home (16 years, 11 months)

Jagger was finding it hard not to smile as he sat on the end of the bed and watched the scene play out. Raven stood with his head bowed in front of his brother and father. Both had their arms folded.

"Lying, sneaking around," stated the alpha. "Disobeying your superiors."

Raven let out a shaky breath. Jagger was pretty impressed the sub hadn't broken down yet.

"Do you know the amount of trouble you got your chaperones in?" Darius raised an eyebrow. "They trusted you to stay with the school group and get on a plane home like everyone else did. Instead, you run off with some human so you could go to a fashion show."

"Sorry," Raven piped.

Darius shook his head. "Anyone else would be demoted, but I can't really do that with you."

Jagger sighed and leaned back on his arms. That would be the only perk to being an omega in rank.

"I am so disappointed in you, Raven."

That was it, the "D" word. The sub burst into tears. "I'm so sorry." He pushed back his sleeve. "You can punish me. I can—can take it." He held out his arms as he wiped his face with his other hand.

The serious demeanor of the alpha melted away. "Come here." He held out his arms.

Raven crumbled into his father's chest and sobbed. Jagger's head rolled to the side. He knew the alpha would never be able to 'physically' punish the pup. All Darius had to do was say how disappointed he was in his son and Raven would punish himself enough.

After a few minutes, the sub calmed down.

Darius grabbed his son by the shoulders. "Never do something like this again, do you understand me?"

Raven nodded. "I won't. I swear. I'll never do it again." He cleared his eyes.

"There will be punishment."

The long-haired boy nodded.

"You will spend the summer in the cave. You are not allowed outside without a chaperone. You will be writing an apology to Trevor, the school and the two dominants that looked after you this year. What you did doesn't only affect you. Midfield might decide that letting subs compete in the competition is too much of a risk and ban them from entering."

"I don't want that." Raven rubbed his arm. "I'll do whatever you want to make it right."

"I know. It'll be hard for a bit, and then we'll move on." Darius hugged his son tightly. "For now, how about we go home?"

Raven smiled. "Yeah, let's go home."

***

Raven grabbed his bags out of the back of the ATV and peered up at the trees. He was back in Northern Ridge. Taking in a deep breath of the fresh mountain air, he felt the stress from the last couple of weeks leave. Nothing felt better than being home.

"Come on." Darius nodded to the trail. "They're waiting for you."

"Who?"

"Go and see."

Raven swallowed hard and started up the path. He crossed the bridge and saw the pack standing outside the cave. They howled and hollered as his grandparents came to welcome the sub home. They both embraced their grandson.

"I'm so glad you're safe," said Rose, brushing the boy's hair behind his ear. "We were all so worried about you."

"This is why in my day," said Xavier, mostly to Darius, "we didn't let sub wander far from the cave, let alone to another country."