Chapter 138: Family Legacy (19 years, 7 months)

Where had they gone? Jagger exited one of the tunnels that led to the back of the cave and walked by the hot pools. He jogged over to a group of dominants soaking in the water. "Hey, have any of you seen where Raven went?"

One of them nodded downstream. "He went outside with the men Darius invited here."

"Thanks." He stopped himself from walking too fast until he was outside in the snow.

His ears flicked from side to side and picked up Raven's laugh. Taking a deep breath, he followed the footprints down the path to the river and stopped in the trees when he spotted the group.

"And that's it," said Raven, waving his arm over the water. "I really like it here and hope you do it." He scanned the faces of the men standing around him. The white werewolf seemed nervous. The sub kept shifting his weight and picking at his tail.

"This is a nice spot," said the tallest werewolf with deep brown fur. "How long has your pack lived here?"

Raven shrugged. "My dad would know the exact number but it's well over a century. Maybe almost two."

"It's pretty close to human territory," breathed one of them.

"We have a WIR agreement. My uncle is human-born," said Raven.

They nodded and looked around the area. The tall one led the sub to a boulder where they sat down. Jagger wasn't going to be able to talk to Raven just yet. Knowing Darius, the alpha would send the suitors off to the far end of the cave tonight and Jagger could possible be able to get Raven alone. With a sigh, he wandered back to the cave. Maybe after soaking in the hot pools a bit, he'd feel better. This was a new kind of stress that he wasn't used to dealing with.

Jagger stepped into the cave and his ears perked up when he heard the conversation going on inside.

"He's going to ruin everything, that mutt."

His chest tightened and he moved out of sight. Did they? Were they referring to him?

"Jagger needs to learn to keep his nose out of another pack's business. It's bad enough we're going to have to put up with him as an alpha."

"I could see him making Bloodhound the main pack and we'd become a branch."

"Fuck that," said an older werewolf. "I'll never allow it."

"What's to stop him from changing the name?"

"I'll die before I'd call myself a Bloodhound wolf."

The group muttered in agreement.

"I don't think he's stupid enough to do it. I mean Darius is sending him to that fancy college in Midfield. The pup has to know if he wants to serve his time as alpha, he better keep his head down and mate a Northern Ridge werewolf. Only then, can he prove he is committed to us and this pack."

"It wouldn't be bad to have the Bloodhound alpha-line come over to our side. Jet may have been no better than a rogue but he was a powerful werewolf."

Jagger bowed his head. They hated his blood, yet that was the only thing anyone ever thought was good about him.

"Darius better not let the boy mess up this arrangement with Raven. We need all the strength we can get."

"I worry about that sub," said the older werewolf with a sigh. "Raven better be treated like the treasure he is. That boy carries the alpha genes and his future pups are going to be top pack members."

"Those assholes don't know how lucky they are to even be considered."

"My mate saw Raven when he was being introduced to those men. He was so nervous. I don't know if the pup is ready for this."