Chapter 18: Toxins (11 years 6 months)

"No shifting at school Daven," stated the teacher as she led him outside. "You know the rules. Do it again, and I'll call your father."

"It's like negative thirty outside."

She eyed the boy. "Far from it." Opening the door, she waved him through. "Go, and behave for once."

He marched passed her, muttering under his breath. It was freezing outside, and those people couldn't see why he might want to have fur. Idiots. They were all a bunch of middle-rank idiots. He arrived at the large stump where the rest of the Northern Ridge boys were sitting.

Jagger smirked at him. "I told you."

"Shut up." Daven shoved his hands in his pockets. "These people are crazy. Sending us outside to freeze to death. Worthless." He wiped a patch of snow off the stump and sat down.

"It's not that bad actually." Jagger took a deep breath. "Yesterday was worst."

Daven hunched over and glared at the group of boys and girls running around after a soccer ball. School was pointless, recess was pointless, everything about this damn place was pointless.

Archer and Saigon left the soccer group and ran over.

"So how bad of trouble are you in?" asked his cousin.

Daven held up his middle finger.

Saigon chuckled. "You're such a baby. It's not that cold."

His brother's laugh sounded in the area, so Daven quickly hid his hands. The sub would tell on him in two seconds. Some brother he was.

Raven skipped over all bundled up in his hat and scarf. His hair ran out the side in a braid. "Hi." He sat down by his twin.

The other sub in their grade hurried around next to him. The two started talking about more pointless things, just like everything else. It was grading on Daven's nerves. They were forcing him to act like a human. They were werewolves. Something that came naturally with a thick coat for these kind of temperatures. He glanced at Raven. He'd probably still have to wear a coat. Subs were so weak.

"Daven?" Raven leaned forward and looked at his brother. "What's wrong?"

He turned sharply. "Nothing. Where have you been?"

Raven grew still. "I went with the girl over to the basketball hoops."

"Hmm..." He stared off at the only clear patches of pavement. "I told you not to go over there."

"I was with my friends," he said softly. "I didn't talk to anyone, I promise."

He glanced at the sub from the corner of his eyes. "They're older, Raven. You leave the older kids alone. Got it?"

The blond haired boy nodded. "'kay." Shifting in his seat, he wrung his hands in his lap.

His friend looked ready to make a run for it. Daven was fine by that. The boy kept dragging his little brother into stupid situations. Then Raven would get hurt, he whine to their parents, and Daven would be the one getting yelled out.

"Daven?" said Raven softly.

"What?"

"Are you mad?"

He sighed shaking his head. "Just don't do it again." Standing, he nodded for his brother to follow. "Come on, let's go inside. I'm cold, so I'm sure you're freezing."

***

(11 years, 7 months)

Raven wrung out his hair and watched his brother splashing around with his friends. His father was out in the middle with them throwing a ball at the group, who then practically drowned each other to get to it first. Grabbing a brush, he comb through his hair. The girls were sitting at the far end, watching the brawl. The sub shifted to werewolf and slipped into the water. He didn't know where he should go.