•Eight•

Learning someone is like
learning a new language.
~Mel

"Since Reese has the tracker now it makes finding Benny boy even more complicated

"Since Reese has the tracker now it makes finding Benny boy even more complicated. He knows someone's on his tail, he'll trace his little tracker to Reese's pack and be more careful."

The distinct scent of warm vanilla cookies had War's head snapping almost painfully to the source. Was he supposed to be listening to Khan about the plan to find this man? Yes, but he couldn't get Pomelia out of his mind.

He completely fucked up two days ago. Not only did he freak out about the sex talk, but he turned all primal on her and scented her out of sheer worry and fear. He should have known it was a sensitive topic. She was basically training to be a nun so of course, those things made her uneasy and he completely dismissed her. The last day and a half had been awkward. He had left a mark or two on her neck... She acted normal towards him but he knew she was bothered.

Pomelia whisked past them, giving them a slight smile before she headed to the kitchen. That was where she had been within the last two days. She was always cooking...or cleaning or reading. At night, she would hold his hand to go to sleep...but that was it. At least he hadn't made out with her in his sleep like the first night they spent together.

"War."

Rolling his eyes, he looked towards Trent, who was glaring at him. "What?" He snapped, glaring at the man. Ever since Pomelia arrived he hadn't been to keen on Trent.

"Oh nothing just that your mate is crying."

War immediately stood up and rushed into the kitchen. Sniffing the air, he did smell a sour, salty scent mixed in with her sweet vanilla one. Pomelia was cutting some sort of vegetable while wiping her wet cheeks with the back of her hand.

Her cheeks were flushed and she was biting her bottom lip. She seemed genuinely upset...like someone had hurt her. "What's wrong?"

Glancing up to look at him, she immediately averted her gaze as more tears fell. "I'm fine." War could hear the lie in her voice and even heard the influx of her heart beat. War closed the distance between them, going behind the marble countertop and standing next to her.

War was quiet, just watching her cook. Her hands were trembling as she continued cutting her food and War didn't like that. "I don't like when you're upset."

Taking a deep breath, she looked up at him with tears in her eyes. "You're ashamed of me," she whispered brokenly as War felt his stomach turn. She must have said it wrong. How could he, War, be ashamed of having Pomelia for a mate? If anything he was honored to have such a beautiful and kind mate.

"No. No I'm not," he defended himself, grabbing his mate and making her look at him. She continued to look away from him, wiping her tears with her hands trying to shy away from him. Why was she thinking like that?! He didn't get it. "You're... you," he stalled thinking of what he was trying to say. Why was he having a problem with this? "You're the best thing about me."