•Sixteen•

"The best journey's
Often take us away from home."

"Hey there Delilah what it's like in New York City? I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes yo do

"Hey there Delilah what it's like in New York City? I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes yo do..."

War glared at the radio. He didn't know any of the crap on these music stations. He didn't know what felt right to him. He didn't usually listen to music. He never drove a car for this long. He always sat in the back seat. Khan and Trent always in the front. Now he was in the front, driving way longer than he had ever, with a mate, a mate in the seat next to him.

What the fuck had War done to deserve this? To temporarily rid himself of the past, of his pack and breathe. To be with a female who made him want to drop everything and just be with her. He never had this feeling before. He even enjoyed the open road.

"Oh, it's what you do to me. Oh, it's what you do to me."

His eyes kept trailing over to Pomelia's sleeping form. She had been asleep the entire time really...and holding his hand. Which was stiff as hell but he'd let hell freeze over before he stopped holding on to his mate. Her touch did things to him...and not in a sexual way, well more than a sexual way. Pomelia's touch was comforting...

They were on the road for three hours and had been driving in and out of occasional rain showers. Which only seemed to soothe his mate back to sleep every time she was in the process of almost waking up. He only had an hour and they would finally be there. Then Pomelia could fully rest in a bedroom. Nick and he would have to speak with Alpha Reese immediately though.

Speaking of the scrawny kid who he really didn't care for, he glanced to the rear view mirror to see what he was doing. He was sleep too. Sleeping soundly like a child, curling up into a sort of ball... Most likely sleeping like that to protect himself.

Wars chest began to ache. He used to sleep like that all of the time. He broke the terrible habit maybe four years ago...once he had finally dealt with some of his past. Or well...killed someone from his past. Their death finally made him able to sleep at night...

"War!"

He snapped out of his thoughts as he felt his mate let go of his hand. Eyes snapping towards the road he realized he was swerving and jerked the steering wheel with both hands to get back on the road.

Pomelia let loose a shout of surprise and he glanced at her, making sure she was alright. Her eyes were as wide as saucers and she seemed a bit stunned. "We're okay," he told her reassuringly before she let out a petrified scream.

"Deer!"

War cut the wheel hard as he saw about three white tailed deer sprint across the empty roadway, obstructing their path. The car jerked before he realized it was spinning on its own accord, hydroplaning from the slick road. The road becoming a problem as War was not able to stop the car.