•Twenty One•

There's always that one stupid mistake
That changes everything.

Fifteen hours

Fifteen hours. It had almost been a full day that War spent laying on the bed, staring at his unresponsive mate.

Pomelia Grace. The sweetest thing on earth that had been tied to him, was now in limbo because of his decision. He should have had more strength to say no again and again. He was selfish and a fool...and everyone around him knew it.

His mate's temperature had been hot and cold all fifteen hours. Making his stomach go up and down with her body's temperature. The pack's doctor had been checking in every few hours and he had Wes on speed dial. They called it a waiting game and War wasn't fucking patient.

"I'm sorry, Pomelia," he said softly in her ear brushing through her wavy curls before wrapping her tighter with the thick blanket. Wes and the dumb doctor from Seneca pack had recommended wrapping her in blankets and comforters to make her warmer.

He hasn't gotten any sleep and he didn't want to get any if that meant possibly being away from Pom. He needed to ensure that she was okay. Sleep didn't help. At all. The only thing that would help would be Pomelia waking up.

Just as War was about to use the odd thermometer the Seneca pack doctor had given him, that rolled over Pomelia's forehead, his phone binged.

He had two messages. The first he opened was from Nick.

'Are you okay? What happened to your mate? The doctor keeps coming in and out and you haven't eaten anything all day.'

War rolled his eyes. He completely forgot about the kid. He had been so Pomelia oriented...everything else he could care less about.

'She's sick. She'll be better by tomorrow.'

That was partially the truth, but all he wanted to give away. Hopefully by tomorrow she would be fine. Smiling and trying to kiss him, asking him about her cell phone. Trying to slip her hand in his.

His phone binged again and he noticed that their was two messages he didn't reply to. Both from Alpha Reese.

'How's the search going for Ben?' That was a few hours ago. Another message was just recently sent. 'What's wrong with your mate? Sources tell me my pack doctor has been there a few times today.'

War let loose a frustrated sigh. If he told Reese that Pomelia wasn't sick but her body was fighting to accept something that he caused their was no way Reese wasn't going to flip his shit.

'Everything is fine. Me and the kid are leaving soon to go check out a spot.'

He lied. Reese was busy, he wouldn't be able to personally question his doctor about what was going on. If Reese did find out he was sure he would be kicked out of the pack and then he would call Khan. Who would really give him shit.