44

JUNE 2018

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Awsten groans, and Elle's eyebrows dip together in concern as she moves closer to him.

He lets out a frustrated sigh, turning around a little force-ably, before spotting Elle.

"Oh, sorry," his expression relaxes almost immediately. "Sorry, hi."

"Everything okay, angel?" She asks softly, and every ounce of frustration fades from his face.

"Our equipment is busted," he explains, more calmly now, "from the heat and shit. On day fucking one."

"Hey, that's okay," Elle tries to comfort him, her hand tentatively touching his arm, still aware that they're out in the open. "I'm sure we'll figure out a plan."

Awsten finds himself smiling down at her, slightly amused at the way her eyebrows are furrowed while she concentrates on trying to help.

"Can we head back to the bus for a sec?" He finds himself saying. "Just forgot something."

"Oh, yeah, sure," Elle answers, but before she knows it, he's pulling her along with him anyway.

He's wearing a subtle smile on his face, as he tugs her onto the bus, to which she looks at him, a little confused.

"Aws, what're you-"

"Is there anyone else on here?" He calls out, and Elle looks in both directions down the bus.

"No, I don't think-"

Awsten catches her lips as her head turns back to him, his hands resting gently on this side of her face, as Elle melts into him.

The kiss is soft, sweet and Awsten takes his time to feel her lips on his.

He pulls away after a moment, with a bright grin, and Elle just stares at him, taking a deep breath.

"I have to go on stage," he whispers, due to how closer her face still is to his.

"Yeah," she nods absentmindedly in return, and Awsten removes his hands from her face, turning to leave the bus.

Elle remains on the bus for a moment longer, her brain attempting to catch up, as well as trying to hold onto what just happened.

That kiss felt different, and she can't put her finger on why.

She makes her way off the bus eventually though, heading towards the stage to watch the band perform.

"We're doing acoustic," Awsten announces, when he sees her coming closer.

"See, you worked out a plan," Elle smiles encouragingly.

"I mean, we didn't really have a choice," he laughs, dryly. "Means I have to go on stage by myself."

Elle senses a strange itch of nerves that she hasn't seen in Awsten before; she can't help the slight frown that twists on her features as she watches him fiddle with the hair tie on his wrist, looking out towards the stage before he goes on.

He starts with We Need To Talk, and Elle thinks that something just feels different about his whole stage presence.

She stands at the corner of the stage, possibly in view of some of the audience, but her eyes are trained on Awsten.

He sounds more bitter than he has in a while, and Elle's heart feels tight as she listens intently to the words he's singing.

Maybe it's just her, maybe she's overthinking it; or maybe Elle knows deep down that she still crosses his mind.