78

APRIL 2019

"What day is it?" Elle's eyebrows dip together, as she pinches her nose, shaking off her remaining tiredness.

"Thursday," Ethan answers, passing her on the couch.

"Thursday?" She echoes, turning to face him, as he makes his way to Taylor in the kitchen. "Are you sure?"

"Yep," he nods, leaning over his girlfriend to check the calendar on their wall. "Thursday the fourth."

"Huh," Elle frowns. "Could've sworn it was still like..Tuesday."

"Seriously?" Taylor stifles a laugh. "Two days behind?"

"I don't know what fucking day it is," she groans, scrubbing her hands over her face in defeat.

"Did seeing Awsten really fuck you up that bad?" Taylor raises an eyebrow, joining Elle on the couch.

She rolls her eyes in response, returning her attention to her phone, scrolling through her Instagram timeline.

"Speak of the devil," Elle murmurs, as Awsten's post pops up on her timeline. She lets out a short breath, staring at the photo of him, before swallowing thickly.

"I thought you had his social media muted?" Taylor leans over her shoulder, as Elle's eyes are glued to her screen.

"Yeah, had," she mumbles.

Taylor's eyes flicker between the screen and Elle, not seeming to draw her concentration away from the photo.

"Hello?" She tries to grab attention. "Earth to Elle," Taylor coughs.

"What?" She finally snaps out of her momentary daze.

"You're staring," Taylor nods towards the picture.

"Can you blame me?" Elle says, quietly, through a frowning expression; her hand rests under her chin as she studies the picture again.

It was posted yesterday afternoon, but she hasn't been on Instagram that much, which is clearly why it's coming up on her timeline now.

His hair is freshly cut and dyed; the faded red is gone, and is replaced with pale pink and blue strands, matching nicely with the pink t-shirt he's wearing.

The pink makes his eyes pop, and it's only complimented further by the stubble peppered along his jaw.

She manages to shift her gaze from Awsten himself, and looks to the background of the picture; a canvas is hanging behind him, on a plain white wall. He's clearly sat on his bed, covered by his black bed sheets that feel all too familiar.

Elle has to take a subtle breath to attempt preventing images from flashing through her mind; they come at the most random and inconvenient times - when she's trying to sleep, trying to record, or even when she's sat right next to her best friend.

It doesn't matter when it happens, because it always seems inconvenient; memories of her and Awsten tangled up in those black bed sheets are what's most prominent right now.

Taylor snaps her finger's in front of Elle's face, noticing the way her eyes have glazed over, quickly causing her to jolt back into the present.