125

DECEMBER 2019

"Do y'all need anything before your flight tomorrow?" Mrs Knight asks.

"A couple things, I think," Awsten nods. "But, it's fine. We can just go to Target a minute."

"Sounds good," Elle agrees.

"I can't believe you're going already," Gracie pouts.

"Well, you're welcome to come with us for New Year's Eve in LA," Elle raises an eyebrow, but Awsten interjects before his sister can even get a chance to react.

"No, absolutely not," he shakes his head, sternly.

"Why not?" Gracie whines, dramatically.

"I'd actually like to spend New Year's Eve with my girlfriend, without my little sister bugging us," Awsten retorts, settling an arm around Elle's waist. "So, not happening," he says, with a sense of finality.

Awsten finds himself simply watching after that; zoning out as he listens to Elle interacting with his family. There's an easy back and forth, and she's smiling, genuinely and happily.

He isn't sure of the last time his heart felt this full; maybe that's because it's never felt this full.

With a sudden thought, he pulls out his phone quickly, opening his texts with Jawn.

Awsten
I have an answer to your stupid
question which might not have
actually been that stupid

🍎
You're gonna have to be
WAYYY more specific than
that bud

Awsten
On tour

You asked me if I think
I've bloomed again

🍎
Man I was kidding

Awsten
I'm not

Been thinking about it

And I have

🍎
Does this mean you're finally
gonna tell her you love her?

Awsten
None of your BUSINESS

🍎
Wtf

Whatever, you fucking sap

Gonna tell the group chat about
this btw

Awsten
ASSHOLE

Awsten's head shoots up from his phone, and he shoves it back in his pocket, before grabbing the car keys on the counter.

"Time for us to go to Target," he kisses Elle's cheek, as a way to lead them out of the conversation.

They head out of the door, and Awsten drives the short journey to Target. As they step out of the car, Elle's phone begins to ring; she pulls it out of her pocket, looking oddly at the contact lighting up the screen.

"Who is it?" Awsten asks, a little concerned.

"It's Ethan," she replies. "He never calls me," Elle adds, before shrugging, and answering the call. "Hey, what's up?"