54

AUGUST 2018

Elle's second show goes incredibly well; there's more people than there was for the first one, and she feels a little more herself on stage - she's hoping that will grow even more with time.

She doesn't want her set to end; and it's not just because of the great show, it's also because she knows that tomorrow morning, Awsten is leaving.

Reluctantly, though, she leaves the stage, still with a bright grin, and is swiftly welcomed into his arms.

"God, you're fucking amazing," Awsten mumbles against her hair, holding her tightly.

"So are you," she pulls back, grinning as she looks at him.

Elle allows herself to stare at him for a moment, trying to memorise every inch of his face, before he leaves for two weeks; she knows she'll catch herself doing it for the rest of the night, and the morning before he leaves tomorrow, as if she'll somehow forget his perfect bone structure while he's gone.

Awsten drives them to McDonald's after the show; he's not really hungry, but he likes the way she smiles at the smell of her favourite food.

It's almost completely dark outside now, so the main source of light is coming from the street posts, reflecting through the windows of the car.

Elle glows underneath the light. Though, Awsten isn't sure if that's just her; maybe she just always has this glow - well, almost always.

He isn't sure why her light dims sometimes; he doesn't think he likes it very much, because she seems to fall flat.

It happens when there's something running through her head, when she walks out of the room to change, and when she apologises for stopping things from going any further.

He knows there's more than likely plenty of reason for it all, but there's a selfish part of him that doesn't want to know those reasons.

Elle hums happily beside him, and it pulls him out of his thoughts.

"I really don't know how you can eat that all the time," Awsten comments, glancing towards her as she eats.

"I acknowledge that it's so shitty for you, okay?" Elle admits, taking a bite out of her last chicken nugget. "But, it just tastes so good."

He giggles as her bliss-filled expression, and she smiles back at him; she tries to keep up the bright look, but it eventually fades, and Awsten frowns.

"What's wrong?" He raises an eyebrow, shifting in his seat, facing her, as he tucks his knee up to his chest.

"You're leaving tomorrow," Elle answers, quietly, addressing the elephant in the room.

"I know," Awsten nods slowly.

It falls quiet for a moment, before he reaches for her empty wrappings and throws them in the back seat; Elle looks at him with an eyebrow raised.

Awsten leans over the console, his hand on her cheek and kisses her.

When he pulls away, he rests his forehead against Elle's, and looks up at her through his eyelashes.

"Can you stay over tonight?" He asks, innocently.

"If you want me to," she nods, pecking his lips quickly.