106

OCTOBER 2019

Fandom's release date is creeping closer, and Elle loves watching Awsten get more and more excited by the day; although it's from a distance, she can still feel the way he's practically itching for this album to be out already.

She likes to hide how disheartened she is by the fact that's he can't be with him for release day, to avoid a sad conversation that wouldn't really going to help anyone, so neither of them are mentioning it.

They're hoping to avoid summoning a sort of, black cloud around the topic; Elle wouldn't want the thoughts of them not being together ruin his day.

Awsten is doing good, though. It still feels strange to him that he's not the one currently on tour in this relationship, but he's hoping it'll bring more good than harm to them; maybe they'll form a mutual understanding of how tour works and how it will affect their relationship, rather than Awsten having to constantly do damage control when his job gets in the way.

Geoff, Otto and Jawn have joining him in Los Angeles, in preparation for their short acoustic tour, release day and the press that will follow.

But, while he's sat in his car in the airport parking bay, awaiting their arrival, Awsten decides to call his mom; he hasn't spoken to her in a little while, and he knows he should probably check in.

"Hi, honey!" She answers after only a couple of rings, her grin evident as she greets him. Awsten smiles at the sound of her voice, and the sudden realisation that he does have a few important things to tell her. "How are you? How is everything?"

"Uh, yeah, really good, actually," he nods, feeling content with his genuine answer.

"Oh?" Ginny raises an eyebrow, clearly being able to read her son's tone, easily. "Is there something you want to tell me?"

Awsten drags out a pause, muddling through his thoughts to piece together a sentence, but his mother speaks up again.

"Oh! How was your trip to see Elle?" She asks, excitedly. "How is she doing? Is tour going okay for her? I hope she isn't missing home too much."

He can't help the grin that takes over his face, listening to his mom being so eager to hear about his girlfriend; though, she doesn't quite know about that title yet.

"Well, uh, that's something I was going to tell you. I kind of, uh—"

"Oh, no, Awsten," Ginny sighs. "Is everything okay? Has something has happened?" She frowns. "Look, you know I love you, you're my boy, but I cannot see you lose that girl again, Awsten—"

"Mom, calm down," he chuckles. "It's like, the total opposite," Awsten assures. "I can't believe you have such little faith in me," he feigns offence.

"Thank goodness," she lets out a breath of relief. "You were talking in your serious voice! What was I supposed to think?" Ginny defends. "But, what do you mean by the opposite?" She continues, intrigued.

"Well, I asked her to be my girlfriend while I was visiting her, and—"

"Oh my gosh! What did she say?" She gasps, excitedly. "Did she say yes? Please tell me she said yes."

"She said yes," Awsten confirms, pulling the phone away from his ear as his mom celebrates. "God, Mom, you're acting like I proposed."

"Well, I've only been waiting for this since the day you first brought her over," she explains, enthusiastically, before pausing momentarily. "Are you happy?"

"Really happy," he nods, letting out a content sigh. "She's just so— There's so much I could say, you know?"

Awsten warms his mother's heart with his words, as she continues to smile, proudly.