36

MAY 2018

When they return to Houston, Elle keeps working hard; in between shifts at Hot Topic, she's picked up a delivery job, in hopes to bring in some more money, while trying to bring her art to life.

She's been working on concepts, cover art and music videos, getting a little closer to what she envisions each time.

Unfortunately for Awsten, all of this means he isn't seeing Elle as much, but they've been dealing with it well; well, meaning that neither of them have had a complete breakdown due to withdrawal form the other.

It's midnight, and Elle is still awake; Awsten can see she's active on social media, and he knows she has work tomorrow. So, he calls her - he isn't sure if he has any reason to, but he just wants to.

Her phone is open beside her, as Elle tries to keep her eyes open, working on her computer, when it rings.

She smiles, seeing Awsten's name gracing her screen, though she's confused as to why he's calling her so late.

"Hey," she answers, after only a couple of rings.

"Hi," Awsten smiles at the sound of her voice.

"What do I owe the pleasure of a phone call, at this time?" Elle teases.

"I don't know," he shrugs in return, even though she can't see him. "Wanted to say hi," Awsten answers, simply. "What are you still doing up?"

"I could ask you the same thing," she retorts.

"Touché," he nods, with a quiet laugh. "Seriously, though, I can see you on Twitter."

"I'm just working on some things," Elle shrugs, before it falls quiet for a moment.

"Nora," Awsten says, softly, breaking the silence.

"Hm?" She hums, trying to ignore the way her heart skips a beat.

"Please don't burn yourself out," he pleads, gently. "I know you're working hard on all of this, but, just remember, you can take a break."

"Yeah, yeah, I know, I just-"

"You're gonna turn into Taylor," Awsten points out, and Elle laughs a little too loudly, considering the time of night. "Shh, she'll know I'm talking about her," he giggles at her reaction.

"Shit, she's probably asleep," she tries to lower her tone.

"You should be sleeping, too," Awsten responds.

"Hmm, so should you," Elle hums.

"You have work tomorrow," he states, and she stays quiet, which is enough of a reply for him. "Exactly."

"I don't want to go," she groans, letting her head fall to her pillow.

"Then, don't," Awsten shrugs.

"I don't think it's as simple as tha-"

"Sure, it is," he interrupts. "Call in sick."

"Really?"

"Yeah, Elle, come on," he lets out a sigh, trying to control his tone, hoping he doesn't sound too desperate. "You've worked so much recently, surely they can't be mad," Awsten persuades. "Just call in sick, to your phone, yeah?"

"Call in sick, to my phone?" Elle repeats with a laugh.

"That made more sense in my head," he mumbles.

"I think you're a bad influence," she teases, and a smirk tugs at the corner of Awsten's lips.

"No, seriously," he shakes off his expression. "Time doesn't take a break, but you can."