75

APRIL 2019

Awsten waits up until midnight for the release of Elle's song. He isn't sure why, but he can't sleep anyway.

He doesn't know what exactly he expects from the song, but any sort of expectation he had is thrown out of the window.

Elle was right when she said that Into You is different from anything she's released before, and Awsten realises it from the get-go.

Sonically, it's almost completely different to anything from Elle's last EP; and the lyrical content only shows more diversity.

Awsten's eyebrows dip together as he pays close attention to what she's singing.

"Close ain't close enough, 'til we cross the line."

The sound of her voice makes his chest feel warm, as he listens closely, with both of his earphones in, immersed in the sound of her.

"Look what you've started,
The temperature's rising in here,
Is this gonna happen?
Been waiting and waiting for you to make a move
Before I make a move."

The lyrics take Awsten back to the first time they kissed; Elle kissed him in the excitement of the moment, before realising what she'd done - though, she only seemed to regret it because he didn't react at first.

But, once he'd gotten over the initial surprise, Awsten kissed her back.

In this moment, he can almost feel her lips on his all over again again, until he snaps himself back to reality.

Elle's vocals seem to blow him away when he reaches the chorus, and his eyes widen; he never really knew she could sing like that.

He can tell that she's been practicing, and bettering her art form; it's clear from her vocals, her lyrics, and the overall stylistic differences in her sound.

Everything seems to be a step up from anything he's heard before, and he wonders if anything else about Elle has changed in the same way.

Awsten can't help thinking the song could be about him, but maybe that's because he wants it to be about him.

He listens to it over and over again for an hour, before tiredness gets the better of him, and his eyes begin to feel heavy.

When he wakes up the next morning, it takes him a moment to register that he's going to Elle's show tonight.

He lets out a sigh and gets out of bed, heading into the living room to find Jawn already awake.

"Hey," Awsten greets, rubbing his eyes.

"How're you feeling?" Jawn asks, cautiously.

Awsten hesitates for a moment. "I need coffee," he answers, after a beat.

"That's not what I asked," Jawn shakes his head.

"I know," Awsten responds. "But, I need coffee."

Jawn sighs, before nodding, and they both get ready, and head out for coffee.