86

MAY 2019

Elle's deal with MDDN has been finalised, and so has Waterparks' record deal with Hopeless.

Both parties feel like they're at an important point in their careers, leaving Awsten and Elle busier than ever.

They haven't spent much alone time together, but Elle thinks that could be a good thing; she's not sure how good she is at being alone with him yet, because she doesn't want to somehow slip up, and hurt the both of them all over again.

Their situation is still fragile, and both of them understand that, but it's getting easier.

Things seem more normal, especially within a group setting, and it's nice for them to be around each other again, without the crippling need to either be closer, or farther away.

It feels healthier, for the both of them.

The two of them are each working on new music, too, which is keeping them in a good place, with the ability to have a creative outlet for their emotions.

//

"This could be my favourite song of yours," Zakk admits, while Elle is bouncing around the studio, once again.

"Holy shit, really?" She grins back, with wide eyes.

"Sonically, definitely," he nods. "And lyrically, it's still up there. You've worded the story so well, so that it's so easy to envision."

Elle's expression only widens as she continues to bounce around, listening to the song over and over.

She's spinning in a circle when she hears the door open, and turns around to see Awsten entering the room, a hat covering his head.

"Hey!" Elle beams, turning around, but she pauses when he pulls off his hat. "Oh my god," her jaw drops, as he reveals his bright green head of hair.

"D'you like it?" Awsten asks, with a smile.

Elle tilts her head, looking up at him; she reaches a hand up, and Awsten ducks his head, allowing her to run her fingers through his freshly dyed locks.

"I actually do," she smiles, feeling a little sheepish as he looks at her through his eyelashes.

"You don't sound so sure," Awsten laughs, standing up straight again, and Elle lets her hand fall back down to her side.

"No, honestly!" She insists. "I do really like it. But, when you told me green I didn't exactly expect this."

"It's good, though, right?" He raises an eyebrow.

"So good," Elle nods. "I kind of fucking hate that you can pull off anything," she frowns, earning a grin that causes her heart to squeeze. "Wait, come on, I need to show you this song," she grabs his hand, mindlessly, pulling him over towards Zakk, who's sat at the soundboard. "Zakk says it's his favourite."

He takes it as his cue to play the song, and Awsten reads the title Maniac from the screen.

Elle takes a seat, allowing her leg to bounce gently, trying to contain all of her energy, now that Awsten is here; not for any reason other than the fact that she's trying to gage his reaction.

His head is bobbing to the beat, and he's looking at the floor, trying to zone out everything other than the song.

But, when the chorus hits, he looks over to Elle with wide eyes, and she raises her eyebrows; Awsten grins back brightly, his eyes wide as he continues to listen, and she takes this as a good sign.