21

APRIL 2018

Elle and Awsten ended up falling asleep on the couch at Elle's apartment last night; it wasn't planned, but Awsten definitely liked the comfort of having her in his arms.

He wasn't too fond of the thought of leaving her on her own after yesterday, anyway; which he knows will make leaving for LA in a couple of days even harder.

Awsten headed back home the next morning, to shower and to get some work done; that seems to swallow him up for the rest of the day, and he doesn't see Elle again until the following afternoon.

Despite being apart, he feels like she's never not on his mind; and although he's only going to be in California for a week, he desperately wants to take her with him.

With a subtle burst of confidence, Awsten decides to head to Elle's apartment. He still isn't one hundred percent sure that he's going to ask her to come with him to LA, but it's a strong possibility in his mind; if it feels right, he's almost certain he'll do it.

As he's about to knock at her door, he pauses, hearing the sound of a piano, accompanied by Elle's soft singing, muffled faintly through the walls.

Awsten listens carefully for a moment, trying to recognise the song, but it's something he's never heard before, and he wonders if she's writing her own music.

Part of him would feel guilty if he disturbs her, but he's itching to know what she's working on, so he finds himself knocking at her door anyway.

There's silence momentarily before Awsten's phone buzzes in his pocket with a text from Elle.

//

🎯
it's open, you can just
come in💜

//

The heart at the end of her message makes him smile, and even though it may not mean anything to her, it causes his heart to trip over itself.

Instead of replying, Awsten does as she says and lets himself into her apartment.

Turning a corner, he spots her through the doorway to her bedroom, sat at a keyboard that's placed on top of the desk they'd built together.

"Hey," Awsten leans against the door frame, smiling at the sight in front of him.

"Hi," Elle returns the expression briefly, before turning back to her setup.

Her room is a lot brighter than the last time Awsten saw it, which is good; the curtains are wide open and everything looks a little neater.

"How'd you know it was me at the door?" He questions, watching her intently.

"You have your own knock," Awsten notices the smile that creeps onto her face as she catches his gaze. "It's like, musical, and I just know it's you," she shrugs, and his heart skips a beat as her hair falls over her face; he's not sure how, but she seems to be more beautiful each time he looks at her.

"Huh, I never noticed," he muses, bringing himself out of his thoughts, a little flattered that she'd picked up on something so small and seemingly insignificant. "What're you writing?"